SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josh1r

Amount of Milorganite to use - sorry for the long post

John Thomas
5 years ago

Hi all. According to UCONN (CT) soil analysis lab: "Cool season turf grass species, including Kentucky bluegrass,
fescues and perennial ryegrass, require about 2 pounds of nitrogen
per 1000 sq. ft. each year
for satisfactory growth if clippings are left
in place.... If clippings are removed, 3 pounds of N per 1000 sq. ft.
may be needed.
Never apply more than 1 pound of water soluble N per 1000 sq.
ft. at one time. Slow release fertilizers, including natural organic
fertilizers and synthetic controlled release products, may be applied
at higher rates (follow manufacturer’s instructions) because much
of their nitrogen is water insoluble. "

A few questions;

1. Is the comment about higher rates for organic referencing the 2 or 3 lbs per year, or the 1 lb per application?

2. People seem to comment all the time (here and elsewhere) that they throw Milo down often/heavy, never mentioning any kind of coverage ratios/etc. They often seem to have smaller yards, yet throw down a lot of product. Is it ok to put down well over the 2lbs or 3lbs of N per 1k sq ft each year?

3. At the old 5-4-0, each bag of Milo contains 1.8 lbs of N (5% x 36lbs = 1.8 lbs). Each bag covers 2,500 sq ft. At the new rate of 6-4-0, each bag contains 2.16 lbs, but still covers 2,500 sq ft. Why is the coverage the same if there's now 20% more N per bag?

4) Please confirm my math: if I go by the bag (which says it covers 2,500 sq ft), 8 bags would cover my 20,000 sq ft lawn. Milo recommends 4 applications/year, so 32 bags in total. 32 bags x 2.16 (new rate) = 69 lbs, or 3.5 lbs/1k sq ft, a little higher than the UCONN info (though the old Milo rate would have been just under 60 lbs, roughly inline with UCONN).

In any case, since I mulch/leave my clippings, I only need 40 lbs/year, so that would be (rounding up a little) 20 bags (40/2.16 = 18.5 at the new rate, or 22 bags 40/1.8 = 22.22 at the old rate). Should I therefore just put down 5 bags x 4x/year (even though 5 bags seems small for a 20k sq ft lawn)? Or is Milo somehow 'different' and I should really put it on heavier, and leave the math above for synthetics?

Thanks!

Comment (1)