SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Seedlings - Old ones, new ones, dead ones

shive
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'll start with the dead ones. I didn't know grubs could kill daylilies until last fall. Somehow the outside perimeter of my front garden became infested with grubs, and they killed some of my best new seedlings from last year. The following promising seedlings had all their roots eaten by grubs and died: Glass Bead Game X Azure Violets, Symphony of Praise X Seedling Val. Sweetheart, and late blooming bitone Sweet Prairie Wind x W. Good Old Days. After I noticed these dying, I dug up some others and they were each covered with multiple huge white grubs - from 7 to 12. I was able to save Ruby Lipstick X Purify My Heart, Royal Passion X Unk. and Texas Blue Eyes X Violet Tranquility. But they did have some roots eaten and they were set back considerably. Grubs, who knew?

A moment of silence for the Dead:

Next up, older thriving seedlings that have bloomed in the past week:

Dust Be Diamonds X Tuxedo Junction is flourishing now that it's out of the shade. Some of the scapes are short, and others at the normal height.

The Thing that Ate the Seedling Bed (Sunbear X Julie Newmar 1) has very tall scapes. But bud count is down, as the clump of 30 fans needs dividing.

Alan Lane Agin X Cosmic Sensation, also now in full sun

Precious Candy X Twilight Illusion #1, planted in two sunny locales

Precious Candy X Twilight Illusion #2, still in the shade. Probably won't get registered because it has no edge. But I like it, so I keep it. Blooms have thick substance and hold color on hottest days.

As for new seedings, two have been real dogs. The third, "Ate the Seedling Bed" X Blazing Saddles, I had high hopes for, but the petal color is ugly. It does have a huge bloom, anice triangular eye and some tiny white teeth around the edge. I'm crossing it with Rip Saw, trying to clarify color on its babies. At least I know "Ate the Seedling Bed" passes on teeth to its kids. I do have a couple more Ate the Seedling babies still to bloom this year.

Debra

Comments (15)