SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
always1stepbehind

part 2, damaged garage door

always1stepbehind
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

ok...remember I posted about my son who had just started driving and damaged neighbors garage door?? I did end up deciding to pay out of pocket rather than insurance. The repairs of the garage structure would be through the property mgmt. co and the door replacement would be through the homeowner but I would be responsible for all the costs. The repairs to the structure was done right after I sent the deposit for the repairs. At that point I texted the neighbor...I had asked if he had got any proposals on door replacement and he said he was waiting to hear back. My reply was let me know when you get some estimates so I can get the money to you for repairs.

Quite a few weeks go by after that last text and then one morning I look out and see a garage door company out there replacing the door. I didn't hear from the neighbor before or after door replacement. I would think he would have given my a heads up to let me know he had someone coming out to replace the door, the cost is XX amount...etc.

Am I supposed to go knock on their door and ask for the bill so I can reimburse him?? What the heck. I just think it's kind of odd he hasn't contacted me. He doesn't even have to talk to me if he doesn't want to, he could text me..??

Comments (33)

• eld6161
    5 years ago

I would wait him out. You did the right thing, at this point, he looks like he did not.

I don't remember but did you get estimates? Would you be able to tell if this work is outrageous or in the ballpark? Would the management company know?

always1stepbehind thanked eld6161
  • bossyvossy
    5 years ago

I vote for waiting him out. There is a chance job may cost more than you think reasonable but pray it doesn’t. Regardless of how/why/when, I’d assign extra chores to child, not as punishment, but as a lesson in accountability.

always1stepbehind thanked bossyvossy
  • Related Discussions

craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener

Q

Comments (5)
    today i called 1-800-528-5236. This is the number of the technical service representative at the manufacturer. they helped me thru various problems first my collar wasn't far enough back in which don told me to move it back , i thought i had it far enough back but i was WRONG!!!! no problem i had to unplug my rpm sensor remove it and clean it then i had to unplug the logic board then hooked it all back up and repeat this 3 or 4 times then it started to work i did all of this with the chain drive removed from the motor my opener is back in service
    ...See More

Parts for Craftsman garage door opener

Q

Comments (2)
    Hey John, I too am needing to replace those worm and drive gears. I wanted to ask if the kit from sears worked for your unit? I have the same one. Thanks.
    ...See More

sears craftsman 1/2hp garage door opener gear replacement help!

Q

Comments (2)
    There are two roll pins that hold that gear in place on the shaft. You only need to remove the bottom one and the gear will slide off. It will take a punch and hammer.
    ...See More

Craftsman 1/2 door garage opener limit prob

Q

Comments (1)
    Make sure you put the black cup back on the end of the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on. Make sure the RPM sensor is plugged in. If neither of these are the issue, then you probably did not have the motor shaft pushed all the way back when you tightened the coupler after replacing the worm gear. Loosen that coupler up and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try it.
    ...See More
  • always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I called a couple door companies to ask about the cost difference between a wood door and a sectional. Our condos were build in the mid 70's. The garages are single with wood doors. Both companies said a wood door would cost more so him "upgrading" to a sectional would be cheaper. Although I wouldn't have had a problem getting estimates I didn't think it was my place to. That would have been sorta of awkward.

I do regret that I didn't get my own bid on the structure repair. I thought the bid from the property mgmt. co was high and even asked if they would go down on it some, but they said no. The estimate stated it was 2 days work etc etc but the work was done within 1 day. So I'm a little mad at myself for not having someone come look at it. I really do feel it was overpriced but if I would have gotten an 2nd opinion that could have cleared that up for me. Nothing I can do now.

ALSO...the property mgmt. has never contacted me about the balance of the structure repair...Wait them out too???

I guess no one wants their money!! LOL

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I meant to ask....how long should I wait till I finally break down and go see the guy?? It's been at least 3 weeks since the door was put in.

• marylmi
    5 years ago

At this point I would just wait until they send the bill. I'm sure they won't forget! :)

always1stepbehind thanked marylmi
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    5 years ago

I feel that you should reach out with a casual mention of 'I see that you've had the door replaced' and ask about the bill. Maybe the neighbor feels awkward about asking you for the money.

always1stepbehind thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • Summer
    5 years ago

My reply was let me know when you get some estimates so I can get the money to you for repairs.

That seems so strange as people usually want their money and you have made it clear you'll pay once you know the amount. Is it possible they had their insurance cover the door? It sure would be nice if they communicated with you. I think I would just wait and see at this point.

always1stepbehind thanked Summer
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

You made legit attempts to make good on this. It's now up to them to follow through with their part. I say leave it be.

always1stepbehind thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • Rose Pekelnicky
    5 years ago

I agree with Raven. Perhaps they had it covered by their insurance or they felt since they were getting a new door they shouldn't expect you to pay for it.

always1stepbehind thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • eld6161
    5 years ago

I can certainly see your dilemma. I, too, don't like to have outstanding bills. It would be sad if they did have insurance cover the cost and yet still request money from you.

Since this is eating at you, I would text him and ask for the update on the door. Don't ask how much etc. just ask for an update.

always1stepbehind thanked eld6161
  • always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I thought possibly they went through their insurance...originally they said they were going to....but I think they thought maybe it would be for all the damages, door and structure. Unless I get a bill/demand for payment from their insurance. They have my phone # name and address. I guess I'll wait a little longer and see if either they or their insurance contact me. I cant imagine they went through their insurance thought, just for the door. Strange. These neighbors condos sit below the rear of mine with a parking lot in between so it's not like I see them in passing like I do neighbors in my same set of buildings with the same driveway. I could go months/years and not run into them...Not that I would wait that long to contact them about pmt., but you get the idea.

• Michael
    5 years ago

Your neighbor's insurance company is probably preparing your bill and will mail it to you soon.

• Izzy Mn
    5 years ago

Just FYI. I replaced a double garage door a few years ago. I was a standard white, aluminum clad, no windows purchased at big box store. I got the more expensive insulated, more substantial one, door, rails, springs, everything replaced. With labor it was about $800. Special order colors cost a. Bit more. Didn't replace automatic opener, used old one,which was a mistake, had to replace it a year later.

always1stepbehind thanked Izzy Mn
  • smhinnb
    5 years ago

If they put it through their homeowners insurance, and the insurance company is going to subrogate against you - it could take awhile. I work with insurance claims as part of my job, and from my experience three weeks is nothing.

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry I can't start discussions with this new change here so I'm just updating on this discussion. I finally went and talked to the neighbor. He looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him about the garage door. Apparently he did go through his insurance. I have NEVER heard from anyone...they never contacted me. It's been like 3 months....??? I guess SMHINNB is right...it takes a while!! I had seen an adjuster out within a couple days from when son hit garage and that was it. I assumed since it was ONLY the garage door that ME and NEIGHBOR were handing that between us and I took care of structure damage costs directly with the HOA. Here I was reaching out to him over and over...why didn't he just tell me to contact his insurance....talk about a lack of communication!!!

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Neighbors don't communicate like thry used to. So whats next...do you wait and wonder if the insurance will contact you or will you contact them?

• Ali
    5 years ago

I'm not sure how insurance works in this case. If his insurance paid for it, wouldn't there just be a deductible?

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

As smh-alphabet explained, it's likely going through a subrogation claim. It works like this:

Neighbor suffered damage and is insured. Their insurance company paid for the repair. But always' son is at fault and is liable for the damage. A subrogation means - neighbor's insurance company contacts always' company and says - "hey, we paid for a claim, but you need to reimburse us, your customer caused the problem". If always' coverage is of the right amount and right kind, neighbor's insurance company will be paid by them in full. If there's a deductible involved or coverage gap, always will receive a bill from her insurance company for her share.

People would rather deal with their own insurance companies, and agent, than someone else's they don't know. The insurance companies sort out who pays what.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

"Neighbors don't communicate like thry used to."

This might vary from place to place but in my area, those considered to be "good neighbors" may occasionally but not regularly trade simple favors (to a very limited extent), offer friendly but limited social contact, and otherwise live their own lives and mind their own business. In a large or largish condo development, there are a lot of "neighbors", too many to know and interact with regularly.

• Ali
    5 years ago

Thanks for the explanation, Elmer. I had no idea as the only claim I ever had was when a shopping cart damaged my car in a parking lot.

Always, I'll bet you'll be glad when this is all resolved.

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What is annoying is that all the guy had to do was get some estimates and then let me know which and how much and I would have paid him. I understand he initially called his insurance because both the door and the corner of the garage structure was damaged but it turned out ONLY the garage door replacement part of the repairs that would go through his insurance. Why would he file claim for that. Especially knowing I stated I would be paying out of pocket, not going through my insurance. Maybe he thought I wouldn't pay him....IDK. All I know this turned out to be a lot more complicated than it needed to be.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

always, it was his damage that needed repair so it was his choice as to what approach was taken. Not your choice.

Not too long ago, a car in the family was backed into in a parking lot. The damage was a few thousand dollars. I called our agent and he said "You can deal with the other person's insurance company, or we'll pay to fix it and we'll deal with them". I think there was a small charge, maybe $50, for the second choice. I gladly took that because we needed to get the car fixed right away and I didn't want to spend time or have a hassle with an insurance company I didn't otherwise know.

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well I guess my paperwork from neighbors insurance company was in transit last week...I checked my mail today and there was a packet from his insurance co. ugh....I'm just really disappointed because I know I'm paying on the "adjusters' estimate and not the actual cost of door replacement/repairs. Nothing I can do...I don't know if I have the right to ask for a copy of the actual repair cost or question any of the adjusters estimates. He estimated just for the door just under $1000. and I know a single car garage door doesn't cost that much....

ETA: It took his insurance company 3 months to send me paperwork....

• User
    5 years ago

You "know" how much a single door costs. You don't know what other repairs/labor/paint/materials/etc. cost. If I were you, I'd make my kid pay for it.

• User
    5 years ago

National Average of replacing a garage door: https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/garages/install-a-garage-door/

• always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ummmm….I know they don't cost that much because I have spoken with few door guys...I'm only talking the actual cost of a door.

• User
    5 years ago

You have to pay for the door AND the labor AND the parts. That's what happens when you (or your child) damage something.

• quasifish
    5 years ago

Sorry that this has turned out to be such a hassle for you, I hope the $$ pain doesn't turn out to be too bad for you. What a life lesson for your son...

Our neighbor's kid, who is a newish driver, took out our other neighbor's high end work truck a few weeks back. It happens and it's horrible, but thank goodness no one was hurt.

There's the consideration that not all doors are created equally and the door has to be replaced with a like door. A lot of the price will probably depend on the quality of the door that was damaged, and what it takes to replace with a like door. You can get a cheaper door, but it might not be a suitable replacement to the one that was damaged :^(

always1stepbehind thanked quasifish
  • always1stepbehind
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Cloe...I know what I am responsible for, I'm not an idiot. I'm ONLY referring to the allowance for the cost of the door. I don't know why you have to be so nasty. SMH.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

The cost is what they paid, whether that was a good deal or a bad deal.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Always you will get thru this.

When Always started this post and told us what happened she never ask us how to deal with her son. That is her business unless she asks for our opinion.

• User
    5 years ago

I'm not being "nasty." I'm trying to help you understand that the bill you received is what you owe, no matter what your opinion of it is.