SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buttoni_8b

Possible snake damage?

buttoni_8b
5 years ago

Drove down to the cabin yesterday to water all my new plants and shrubs. The Vitex I just planted 10 days ago looked nearly dead, with all leaves and bloom pods wilting as if it was dried out from lack of water. No yellowing; no leaf browning or curl. Then, as I got walked closer to it, I saw some 5-6" out from the trunk, what was clearly a snake hole (too small for mole or gopher). We have seen a snake out there. It had burrowed straight toward the plant, from the angle of the excavation. I guess it created a huge air pocket at the root ball that allowed it to totally dry out the roots. I watered the heck out of it and plugged the existing hole as best I could. Man, I worry about our resident gopher and deer, but never THOUGHT a snake would be the worst of my issues. Guess he was seeking out the cool ground I created when I planted and soaked it in. I sure hope the tree perks back up and that I didn't get back down too late to save it.

On a more positive note, all the potted plants I topped with a coir layer held up fine. The Desert Willow planted the same day as the Vitex is looking very happy in its new hole. Guess Mr. Snake didn't find that one yet. And my Mountain Laurel, which was struggling in its pot of Lord knows how long, is looking healthier for planting it out in the ground. Both the leaves and it has set new growth in just 10 days. :)

Any suggestions on the snake problem, other than trying to catch/kill it? I kind of hate to think the badly needed water I must drive down and give the new plantings will actually be their undoing.

Comments (21)