SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
collinbradford

Flat roof - can back of gutters go behind membrane and drip edge?

c b
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I recently bought a '60s flat-roofed house that doesn't have any gutters. The roof is a white EPDM membrane. I'd like to install gutters to direct water runoff. The facia boards are only 4" high and the roof membrane and drip edge overlap onto 1.5" of that, so gutters below that would hang below the fascia. It seems to me that maybe I could just slip the back edge of the gutter behind the membrane and drip edge so that water runs directly into the gutters. So I would remove the drip edge that secures the membrane to the fascia, place the back of the gutter between the fascia and the membrane, and then reattach the drip edge with the gutters in place. Is this an okay idea? Or is there a better solution?

Here are some pictures with just a short piece attached so you can see how I'm thinking of doing the whole gutter. The drip edge would be screwed in every 8-10 inches just like it already is. The screws would just go through the back of the gutters before entering the facia. In the pictures below I haven't reattached the drip edge so all the layers are loose/separated, but they'd all be tightened down by the screws through the drip edge.

Comment (1)