SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosesr4me_gw

Drip edge and fascia board

rosesr4me
16 years ago

The roof on my 1930's house was replaced in 2003 with new drip edge and some new sections of fir fascia. Because they installed the lower edge of the drip edge flush against the wood fascia, water flows down the drip edge onto the fascia. I just recently replaced one section of the recently replaced fascia board, where it appeared to have flowed through a joint in the fascia (I know, lousy caulking job). A carpenter replaced the fascia board and recommended that I clad the fascia with vinyl. Not keen on this idea - due to appearance and cost (over $1000).

What can I do to the drip edge to divert water away from the fascia? Bend it? I read in a recent post about slipping a 1x2 between the drip edge and fascia so the water will "skirt" away from the fascia. Will this work in my situation?

Additionally, I would like to add gutters to help prevent water damage to the siding and windows. Would the inner edge of the gutter slip under the drip edge? If not, would the gutters increase the potential for rotted fascia down the road? I am sensitive to the home's architectural character, so the least obtrusive the better.

Thanks in advance for your advice and comments.

Comments (6)