SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hsuer

Please help me understand my vaulted walls!

5 years ago

We moved into this home a few months ago and haven't really settled into it yet, mostly because I'm confused about how to choose paint for these crazy walls, and I'm stuck with decorating until I know my paint colors.

Our house really isn't that big, but the tall walls make it feel gigantic and really remove that cozy feeling I'm used to. I'd like to use different colors on the walls to create a sense of depth. Our home is located in the country on a farm, so I'd love to pull in that farmhouse feel as well.

So far, I know that I'd like to paint the currently-gold accent wall a blue, and I'm interested in doing the other walls in a soft gray. But...do I paint all the tall walls the same color gray, or do I choose a couple different grays to create depth? I'd like to leave the hallways cream...do I also leave the tall walls that attach to the hallways cream? Our ceilings peak at around 15 feet and we're doing the painting ourselves, so if we don't need to paint those two tall walls, we won't.

In an ideal world, I'd like to re-stain the cabinets and trim in a darker, rustic color and replace the light countertops, but a tight budget makes that impossible right now.

Any tips on creating a sense of cozy, rustic warmth would be great -- I'm so lost! (Also, I apologize for all the clutter and the weird placement of office furniture in the kitchen -- that'll probably change at some point). Thank you to anyone who can help me!

Comments (5)