SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikerno_1micha

Please, show us your colorful succulents and cactus for spring!

myermike_1micha
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Here are just a few of mine. Can't wait to see the colorful leaves or growth on yours now that the sun has been able to touch them with love.

Comments (91)

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ewwmayo, what kind of plants is the top and bottom pics? It's a beautiful brown! Think I will be looking for one of those. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

Matt, fantastic!+, what's the name of the first pictured plant? I have never seem one before. It's got beautiful red tones, and will probably flower too.

Anna, I must say you have some really beautiful and unique plants there not easily acquired from here. Very nice. Love the variegated 'Black Prince'! I have one too. have you ever noticed that the variegation diminishes with a lack of sunlight? Mines is starting to get the color back. Can you do us a favor and share photos of your set up, even the roof part once you get all your plants on that stand? What a great idea. Thank you.

Grace, I hear you of not seeing plants before until you come here,lol. It the very reason why I have been enabled and bought more plants than you can imagine@! I have no idea most of these existed until threads like this. But, I have gotten many ideas and spent many a dollar now. Beautiful plants by the way...

Dominyka, I'm not sure if your plant is the same as mine. The colors are very different. Mines a florescent blush green but I do have one that might be exactly the same as yours. If I remember, I will take a pic of it for you. Thanks for the beautiful pis too.

Nancy!! Wow..Been sick as a dog. Can't seem to feel ok every time I stand. Like I am going to pass out the past few days. Hoping this passes. Good to see your beautiful plants too. I even have a couple from you, Thanks again!!!

Mike

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Grace, mine is similar to your before photo--stressed for different reasons. I might have to make a thread about that. I'd chop it all to make it look similar to yours.

• Related Discussions

CT Cactus and Succulent Society Show and Sale

Q

Comments (66)
    187 looks like jabba the hut...or some other sci fi char...can't pin down which one. My favs are the a. herrei and the variegated bear paw tree...! SO adorable....That 150 fuzzy crassula looks great too. 151 is even cooler with those ridges.. I'm amazed...when you think about how old some of these plants must be. Thank you for taking these pics bernard!!
    ...See More

January 2018 "show us some of your plants" please this month!

Q

Comments (220)
    Lizardhandz I am glad to hear that someone is using similar (in this case I would say 'the same' :) mix! I hope you'll have excellent result with it. I grow all succulents in it, and even few smaller potted tropical plants. I would use it for big ones too but big pots get heavy with so much grit. Color of your mix is very nice too - it depends on color of chicken grit a lot. What I bought in past, was white. Latest bag has some grayish speckles to it - it comes from different supplier I was told. Your plant has beautiful color. It is supposedly xPachysedsedum of uncertain origin, with one of the parents possibly S. craigii (responsible for color of leaves). It is suppose to grow several stems from the base, so I wonder if yours may be inflorescence? But it looks more like leaves, so maybe not. In case it blooms, pls. post photos! And do so even if it doesn't bloom :)
    ...See More

Show us a picture or two from your spring garden of 2017

Q

Comments (120)
    I looked through this thread again tonight and enjoyed everyone's spring photos. Seems I took very few photos of my garden last year as was busy and most of the garden was the same as previous years so little change. Enjoyed seeing all your spring blooms and still waiting for warmer weather and our spring. Will need to walk some neighborhoods to see what others have planted. Campanula, planting all those bulbs was well worth the work as they look lovely in bloom. While we have spent some time in GB we did not know any gardeners but enjoyed walking through many public gardens. Also, that was before I became a serious gardener. Now I think I would look for someone local to talk gardening with when I travel. Someone who would not think the glint in my eye was something odd.
    ...See More

February 2018 "show us some of your plants" please this month!

Q

Comments (152)
    You know, if I had room, I would grow each and everyone of these beautiful plants. Thanks for posting. So nice. Nancy!! How in the world did you get them to grow from leaf variegated!!?? Not even Glen has been able too nor I. All leaves come back green. Here's to thinking outside the box. Just few different plants I grow very fragrant One of my favorite Orchids which smells the whole yard up even in winter. Lemon Tree loaded with fruit.Another orchid which smells like vanilla cookies This orchid smells like Coco butter or a day at the beach with Hawaiian tropic on.These are on a very cold porch left dry until next month in a dormant stage.Not sure what this one is but I like it.
    ...See More
  • teako
    5 years ago

Adding to the list.

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

teako, amazing. I can only aspire. What great pots and arrangements.

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    5 years ago

Teako, love your pots, especially that giant shell with the Sedum (?) and the Senecio spilling out of it.

• ewwmayo
    5 years ago

Mike - The top one is Crassula perfoliata var minor. This one gets unusual looking red rings under bright light.

The bottom one is Stapelia gigantea. You might have it already!

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

So many gorgeous plants everyone!

Please don't mind the kitten bite mark!

A bizarre double leaf.

Grace, I love all your plants and the way you photograph them, they are always a delight to see.

Mike, Ohh no, not again! I hope you feel better very soon, get lots of rest my dear friend. I don't know if it's the pollen making you sick but the pollen is horrendous here, yesterday I literally saw green clouds of it blowing from the trees. I havn't been outside much because of it, makes me so ill. All my plants and EVERYTHING are covered in a
    green dust, I really want to rinse the plants with the hose but it's supposed to
    rain the next two days (& cool nights!?!? what the frig), I don't want to overwater them. Great colorful beauties you posted above, I'm happy to see you got a Solana cutting. Woo-hoo its so pretty! I may send you an email in a bit.

-Nancy

• AnnaWSul1 (5a)
    5 years ago

Thanks Mike! I haven’t had any issues with my variegated BP in terms of color, but mine is currently still indoors under grow lights. I find them to be a bit finicky so I think I’ll just leave it where it is. Seems happy there...but I have a E. Rainbow that’s been losing variegation and vibrancy. I’ve been working on rooting it and it’s been a real thorn in my side. I’m hoping once it’s established and receiving more light it will return to its former glory!

Here’s some pics of my outdoor set up taken just moments ago. Excuse the accumulation of debris on the top. Probably should have cleared that off first!

The roof is on hinges. Here it is completely down. There’s a piece of wood attached to it in the front for support once it’s lifted.

Here the roof is lifted and you can see the the piece of wood in the center for support.

And here’s a side view with the roof lifted

The front has 3 posts and a cross beam for the roof to rest on when it’s down. So far I’ve mostly had it up (largely due to laziness, it’s on the heavy side), so I’d like to work on a better solution to support its weight in an up position. It’s definitely not perfect, a bit cobbled together even, but it’s doing the job. A mostly functional work in progress haha

myermike_1micha thanked AnnaWSul1 (5a)
  • ewwmayo
    5 years ago

Nancy - The tree pollen in my backyard is crazy right now! It bothers my allergies and it's all over my plants. Do you just gently spray it off? Any recommendations? Usually it's not this bad here...

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Ewwmayo, if there won't be any decent rain soon, then I rinse it off with the hose's spray wand. Start rinsing high up and work your way downward.

myermike_1micha thanked nanzjade z5 MA
  • Crenda 10A SW FL
    5 years ago

I have one compact jade - probably a Crosby's Compact - that has had some unusual coloring over the winter. You may be able to see behind the plant in these pictures that none of my other jades look like this.

The yellowish leaves have been this way since Jan/Feb. They aren't limp or soft, just yellow. It really needs a trim and a repot, but I have been enjoying the color. But soon. It really looks good in the sun -

My plants are more colorful during the winter.

myermike_1micha thanked Crenda 10A SW FL
  • Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Indoor plants. Phone photos.

The one in the middle is the same from early on in the thread. Most pots are 3".

myermike_1micha thanked Jeff (5b)
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Kalanchoe luciae 'Fantastic':

Even regular K. luciae - usually bluish-green, has many red leaves:

myermike_1micha thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Anna, WOW. I love it! That is going to come in especially handy when the cold rains start. Just awesome your plants too. Thank you for sharing and your ideas.

Nancy, could be, I hope that is all it is. Thanks a million. I think I am do for a visit soon once I feel better. Just found out my cousins husband was found dead on the floor a few hours ago. I think a heart attack at 50..Makes me cringe.

Beautiful colors everyone, please keep them coming!

Mike

• AnnaWSul1 (5a)
    5 years ago

Thanks Mike! It’s definitely serving its purpose. Just watered yesterday, and we got a bunch of rain today. That’s what I get for not checking the weather... Thank goodness they’re under cover. Here’s a few more plants I snapped pics of while watering

And another cactus blooming

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    5 years ago

Mike, hope you are feeling better. I love your plants. Every one has such unique ones. Happy growing.

Sharon

myermike_1micha thanked ssk22 Ohio 5b
  • nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Very sorry Mike, that is so sad. My heartfelt sympathies go out to you & your mom. I hope you can visit soon too, pretty much any day of the week is good. When you're up to thinking about the visit let me know.

Sending hugs,

Nancy

• Chris (6a in MA)
    5 years ago

But wait... there’s more.

myermike_1micha thanked Chris (6a in MA)
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Chris

Fantastic colors, especially in your zone! They look very clean, almost blemish free. No too easy to get outside. (Do you have GH for winter keeping?)

So many beauties...and I like you growing most clumping ones in clumps :)

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    5 years ago

Here's an updated photo of my variegated Echinocereus; it's getting more colorful...

myermike_1micha thanked stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
  • CasualSweater
    5 years ago

That’s gorgeous!

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

sld, I think I can see more yellow coming in.

• HU-842690987
    5 years ago

myermike_1micha thanked HU-842690987
  • HU-842690987
    5 years ago

This cactus has grown many new arms the last few years & blooms beautiful white flowers every summer .

• HU-842690987
    5 years ago

• HU-842690987
    5 years ago

Its also my xmas tree .

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Neat! :) Good looking plant, and useful too, lol.

• Chris (6a in MA)
    5 years ago

Hah! My leggy gasteraloe last Christmas.

Thanks Rina, I don’t have a GH. I have been good with my scissors last March and chopped off my ugly plants and replanted it as cuttings. The colors popped from all the light it’s getting. By south facing backyard can get pretty hot on a sunny day and plants get direct light from sun up to sun down. No shade I did burn a couple though and I have been tossing the plants which struggled in my backyard’s microclimate. No point in keeping them. in a way im downsizing.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Chris

You are doing excellent job with them! And your beck looks great, with all the pots neatly arranged... I should strive for same :) I am so messy comparing - I have few plant shelves, but plants are all mixed up. Here is one of them:

I have xGasteraloe too and is getting very leggy. It also has number of offsets; I was looking at it today wondering if I should attempt be-heading or not. Yours at least grows straight up - mine is so top-heavy, I had to support it with a rock...haha, I would advice to behead it if someone posted photo like this - I need to take my own advice:

I am thinking of chopping it where 2 offsets are growing in-between the leaves, leaving the rest of original trunk, with few leaves, in the pot. There are few offsets all around the 'naked' part of trunk (not visible in photo are few quite small ones). What do you think?

myermike_1micha thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • socks
    5 years ago

Chris, exceptional plants! You are an inspiration.

Not sure how these will do in this decomposing stump in full sun but nothing ventured nothing gained. I did put some potting soil in the stump

so far they look ok.

myermike_1micha thanked socks
  • Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Mike, I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties.

Opuntia - the first cutting rooted just fine, so this one will be taken off this summer as well. I never noticed that this has two kinds of spikey things.

Sedeveria 'Jet Beads' - strangely compact growth

Adenium obesum seedlings at yogurt cup size. Rocks to hopefully keep wildlife from taking them or eating the roots, in case they like these as much as Pansies and Impatiens.

Echeveria of some sort. These should be much bigger. Each one is less than an inch.

Graptoveria 'Bashful'

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

socks, the question is: Does it have a drainage hole?

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    5 years ago
    Dang, the ‘Jet Beads’ is awesome, Jeff.

Here’s another colorful one I have. Don’t know the name though. I thought ‘Big Red’, but cant trust any of the Internet photos as they’re all inconsistent. I’m always shocked time and again at how unreliable internet photos are regarding many succulents. Or plant info in general. But it is beautifully bright! I somehow ended up with so much pink/mauve/purple over time that sometimes it looks like I’m growing one kind of succulent, haha.
    myermike_1micha thanked Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
  • myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Grace, beautiful! I hear what you mean about the camera thing not making the colors as good as they are in person. Beautiful though.

Chris, your Anonium the black one is amazing in perfect shape! How do you do it? Thank you and that leggy plant looks so nice lit up. Good idea and what a GREAT looking set up on that porch. It's perfect for them.

Jeff, you are very kind and thank you. It's been tough around here lately and I have not been all there mentally but soon though. Your 'jet bead' are to die for. So compact and very nice coloring. Do you ever have to cut them back to keep them that compact or keep them under lights? Great job.

Socks, that is a great idea. I love it!

Rina, you do have some of the most beautiful plants and for a northerner, what a great job growing. Thank you.

Houz User, what the heck kind of cactus is that? Where can I buy one? Do those flowers smell good? Amazing.

Stupid lazydog. wowowow. Thank you and would you believed I spent over an hour looking for a variegated one like that to no avail. Just beautiful and the flowers compliment it so.

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nancy, hugs right back at you and thank you for being so kind hearted all the time. Thank you.

Sharon, so good to see you still around and thanks for the thoughts. It means a lot !

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Mike, I hope things get better. You're one of the most gracious people here, and put up with my manic-ness when I first came here.

I've only had the Jet Beads since January and haven't cut them yet, though I imagine I will late in the year or earlier next since I don't like these things so tall and hangy. The leaves were longer and not so spotted when I first got them--I liked the color. Then they grew super compact under the grow light, which bothers me for some reason. I also don't like the specks in the coloring. I'm surprised but also glad others like them so much. I'll have to change my opinion on them.

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jeff, you too have been a good person to get to know and your plants astound many of us here. You seem to like the rather unusual ones as I do. They are so hard to find at times, but when we do find them, it's like finding a treasure. Very nice and thank you.

Here's another of mine )

• Chris (6a in MA)
    5 years ago

I agree with Jeff. Mike brings so much positive vibe around here. :-)

myermike_1micha thanked Chris (6a in MA)
  • nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Today I found 'Jet Beads' at a Lowes. I had liked this one Jeff posted on the "Jades enjoying the Morning Rain thread", Mike I'll give you half of it. I'll put it in a much better mix tomorrow.

Cristen Aurea looks like she has painted nails. Love it!

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

I got the Jet Beads from the same grower. (Mine came with three; yours came with four!) I like them better with the longer leaves like that. I bought them specifically for a pot/dish garden that I now have them in, in addition to Sedum 'Golden Glow'. I'm waiting until things fill out before showing the whole thing. Not that it's very impressive.

That Cristen Aurea is amazing.

Here's one photo I didn't show. I don't really like these. A friend gave a cutting of some sort to me a couple years ago. The outer leaves always look dingy and you can't touch them. I had it in the sun, which makes it look more dingy, so I put them back into part shade. I might put them in mostly shade because I liked how they looked under the grow light the best, or disliked the least. Blah blah. I'd like them to flower. Any tips, let me know.

Echeveria 'Perle von Nurnberg' - only a 4+ inch pot

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    5 years ago
    I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone state they don’t like PvN. Haha. I mean, I don’t go out of my way to get it anymore because I’ve grown it so many times in virtually every garden, but it’s a classic and sort of timeless.

They are rather attractive when fully grown, expanding some 5-6” across, but the only time I grew it for that long (3 years or so?), I battled snails on this and two of my Aeoniums (all in the ground in that garden) for what felt like eons. I moved and didn’t take it with me, so I guess the snails won.

Yours look small but pristine!
    myermike_1micha thanked Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
  • Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Eh (but thanks). If people like dingy gray leaves, then I can see how they'd like them. (smiley would go here) The pink is great though. I like the ones more off the beaten path I guess. If they get big and flower, I may change my mind.

I liked them better when they were less gray and more blue (phone photo). You can see one of the Jet Beads here. No funny spots there yet. I seem to complain less about cactus and mesembs.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jeff, hello! Just got over being sick these days. Finally on vacation and picked a perfect week for it))

Listen, let me send you a well rooted Cristen Auria as soon as yesterday and if you should feel like it you can send me a cutting of that jet bead anytime if you want. If not, it's ok, I still want you to have a Cristen in your possession since they are so cool especially when they flower. Hoping all is well. Cold here tonight for Junes standards. High 30's for some folks. Crazy but sure to add more color on all of my jades.

Nancy, how sweet of you as usual. Yours seems different than Jeffs but every bit as cute. Thank you so much.

Chris, thanks and likewise. I really love this forum with as so many kind ones here, along with many colorful plants might I add. This is amazing.

Grace, more pics please!

Mike

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Wow, that would be fantastic. I'd forgotten about seeing that plant. I'm starting over some of my Thanksgiving Cactus after sun stress last year. That would be a great addition. I'll send you a message.

I have some poor chopped Jades that are finally getting some growth, which gives me hope for them.

Edit: Could you send me a message? I don't see a message button for you, even after Following you, which is the case most of the time for me.

Small seed grown indoor Aloe is getting more colorful in June.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago
    No worries, I’m sure my jet beads from Lowe’s hadn’t seen real sunshine in weeks so they’ll likely color up someday.
    I also got a smallish leaved variegated jade called Carnival. This one is potted for you Mike.
  • Paula Wright
    5 years ago

I kill them, but I don't want to give up. I have had these for a few weeks, do they look like they are dying?

myermike_1micha thanked Paula Wright
  • nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Paula, that looks like a lot of soil for them. I too could never grow them in pots without them dying. They do much better in their natural habitat of rocks and a place that will drain quickly if it were to rain. This clump is 3 or 4 years old, I just stuck (the original few) it in a rock wall and let nature take care of them. I do not pamper them, even in the drought last year I did not water them! They sunbathe by the pool in full Southern sun. Also, by planting them now they will have time to settle in before needing to go dormant for winter under the snow. So will you consider moving them to a place in your yard more suitable?

-Nancy

• Paula Wright
    5 years ago

Thank you so much. I will replant them.

• Laura F (z9FL)
    5 years ago

Euphorbia viguieri-nice coloring while recovering from freeze damage in February.

myermike_1micha thanked Laura F (z9FL)
  • myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nancy you are too sweet...Thank you and very nice everyone..keep the colors coming please.

Mike