Another bird trying to dismantle what bluebirds built

dianeusa10

We put up a nest box in the early early spring. I have mealworms and other food for them. There was a pair that started building the nest but our winter seemed to never leave in western Pa. Eventually I saw at least one baby inside last week, mouth open! So exciting, but the next day I was watching and a big woodpecker had his face in the hole, I ran out and chased him away. Shortly after went to check and no sight of any baby inside, no blood but parents still around. Then it seemed as though they left the area.Another bird, sparrow?? started going in and throwing old nest out? Today, I saw the female B.B. back in the area looking in her house this am. not sure what to do, just watch and does this actually happen? Will my B.B. come back to nest maybe next season if sparrow has taken over? I will clean box end of summer. Thx

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dianeusa10

Any ideas???? Please help! No one has commented on this, am I doing something wrong???

Save    
HU-851698853342662953

YIKES!! house sparrows are noted for taking over blue birds nests and will kill the young and destroy the eggs, especially the male sparrow. Important to note also that blue bird boxes should not have any kind of foot hole peg by the hole. Black birds are also invaders if the hole is too big on the box. House wrens are equally brutal birds.

Save    
debzierk

For sparrows, in my experience, if you keep pulling out the nest they build in your box, they'll eventually give up. Can also try a Van Ert (sp?) to trap the sparrow inside the box, capture it, and then dispose of it.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides How to Bring the Joy of Bluebirds to Your Garden
Attract these beautiful songbirds with nesting habitat and food sources, including berry-producing trees and shrubs
Full Story
Earth Day How to Help Your Town’s Beneficial Birds and Bugs
Make a habitat using local materials to provide a home to the creatures that help our gardens
Full Story