SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_mistry25

Living room design help for mid-century ranch

K
5 years ago

Hello! I saw so many people posting questions and getting help I thought I'd try it. How fun!

This is my first time doing a room from scratch in our new-to-us 1960 ranch home in Portland. I want a serene feel with a nod to the period without looking like a Star trek set. I have given it quite a bit of thought and already have a few key pieces chosen. Someone advised to pick furniture and rugs first, and paint color second, so that's where I am in the design process. I'll post pictures of my sofa, rug, and other key pieces.

I'd like to go with gray walls, and I'd like suggestions for which gray: light or dark? cool or warm? I'd love to do a teal/aqua/turquoise color on the ceiling to match the rug. I like the rug for its bold design, and it has the aqua, gray and off white, which are the colors I want in the room.

The first thing I am not sure about is the white brick fireplace. Not sure whether to leave it white or do it in the same gray as the walls. It's just so...white. Either way, we will add a mantel and fireplace door, and of course some artwork. My second concern is the trim and the baseboards. If I leave the bricks white could they stay white also? What about the window trim? How about if it was the ceiling color? So many choices!

The walls and ceiling will be cool but we have lots of smaller pieces of furniture that my husband has made from reclaimed wood to warm it up. We will also add warm pops of color and some silver accents in the soft furnishings and art.

The bistro set and chair are vintage and we reupholstered them. I am not opposed to painting the chair wood black to make it more modern. The sofa acts like a room divider, and we want to put the bistro table in front of the picture window to create a separate coffee area. I appreciate all ideas and comments, thank you!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County