SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alleyoop

Mid Century-ish Family Room Help, Interior Design

Heather L
4 years ago

Hi, I am in the middle of some home renovations and am at a point of making some flooring/ new paint color/ furniture and dressing decisions. I would really love some advice from folk more savvy than I.

This is my Family Room currently:

The off-white couch under the oil painting is new, and I need advice in these areas:

1. Something to replace the yellow loveseat! The opening to the room is 12 feet wide, this current loveseat is 53 inches. I was thinking of replacing it with a navy blue velvet chaise. Is this a good idea?

2. I do not like the color of the couch against the Repose Gray walls, and the white-ish lamp shade. I was thinking I needed to paint this wall or the whole room with something different in order to create more contrast and to tone down the slight greenish tint of the couch.

3. After removing a fireplace, built-ins and ugly wet, bar, it is finally time to get new flooring to span this room, the entry (tile), dining room, and kitchen (linoleum). It is one circle. Thinking of some white-oak-like look wood or LV. I don't want to go too matchy matchy with the teak items I have purchased, so thinking of keeping it light, but not trendy light. YKWIM?

Other notes: The rocking chair, new couch and rocking chair have to remain in the room. When we do the flooring, we will be replacing and painting all remaining oak trim and doors white flat-stock. The painting is important to us but doesn't have to be on that wall. I could possibly go in the dining if there was a good reason. The cat tower is going to move.

Any advice on making this all come together? I have more pictures I will post! Thanks!

Comments (36)