SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrw7735

A/C size for 2nd. floor condo with ducts in attic

Jim
5 years ago

I have a 1500 sq. ft. second floor condo where the ducts are in the attic. (note: the building is 40 years old and is in northern Ohio).

I had a 2.5 ton air conditioner installed 10 years ago to replace the original a/c of the same size. When I set my thermostat to 72 and the outside temperature starts to go above the low 80's the inside temperature starts to rise. When the outside temp is in the upper 80's my inside temp is 76-78 degrees. It levels off at this temperature. I have a neighbor across the hall who has the same size unit & a/c and has the same problem.

I know that officially this is the correct size a/c for the size of my condo. However, as it cannot keep up when outside temps are in the 80's, is it undersized? Should the fact that my ducts are in the attic where temps during the summer are 100 to 120 degrees mean that I should have had a larger capacity a/c installed? If I go to a larger size unit will this solve the problem? Should I go to a 3.0 or 3.5 ton a/c (note: I would like the inside temp to be 70 to 72 when the outside is up to 90).

Thanks.

Comments (10)