SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monika_rosa

placement of 2nd floor furnace

Monika Rosa
5 years ago
I’m in need of advice on the placement of my furnace on the second floor. We are currently framing a new house and I need to make a decision ASAP. I originally placed our 2nd floor furnace in the upstairs laundry room. (Circled in yellow in attached pic). As we started building I realized how small this made my laundry room. We originally placed the furnace in the attic giving us more space in the laundry room and an entrance from laundry room to master closet. City said we can’t have an attic furnace and that was the only place we thought of placing it at the time. Now I’m rethinking my idea and my architect proposed we take some space from one of the bedrooms and create a hallway closet for the furnace (circled in green on picture). We would also flip the bedroom closets to this wall.

My concern is noise in this bedroom and upstairs in general. Would the furnace be less heard if I kept it in the laundry? I’m planning on soundproofing the laundry anyways to diminish the sound of washer and dryer.

Also (sorry if this sounds like a dumb question) will the furnace have enough ventilation in the laundry if I keep the doors closed? I read somewhere furnaces should not be in small rooms.

I appreciate everyone’s input and advise.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!