SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eve_fairbanks

Help!! Writer's Retreat - how to make this weird room usable?

Eve
5 years ago

I'm a writer and recently moved into a house with this 125"180" office room. The dull seafoam walls, picture rail, old chandelier, total lack of storage, and nothing calming on the walls is depressing me. My needs are:

-- To be able to *see* the files and papers for the work I'm doing -- no filing cabinets

-- Shelve about 50 books

-- A large space to both hang/pin bits of material and also make notes around the clippings: like a huge wall-sized idea board

-- Feeling I've "left" the rest of the house a bit

-- I actually like working in an area that feels very cozy and contained, but I can't get rid of this giant desk!

Here are pics of the North, East, South, and West-facing sides of the room, and whole room. Where would you guys put shelving and what kind? How would you create an idea space that could both accommodate writing and hanging? (I thought of a layer of magnetized paint beneath a layer of whiteboard paint on the south and/or west walls.) How would you use the desk (I like the feeling of having a contained, small desk space, but I can't get rid of this insanely large 40"x80" desk)? And how would you bring more soothing/rustic/organic/beachy notes into the room? (I have a lot of energy and really need a calming space, not an energizing one, although there will be some clutter since I have to see my work.) I can't use track lighting with this vintage South African metal pressed ceiling, but I could paint it. My budget isn't high--about $1,000.

The rug could go, but the only things I could replace it with are a jute rug or a beni ourain. I thought of making a little writing stand at the window, or a nook in the southwest corner with a very small table and cushion--but my view is terrible (neighbor's spiked wall).

North:

East:

South:

West:

Room:

View:

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!