SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yellowgrey

Kitchen Designer & Contractor Mistakes and how to address them

Corrie Jackson
5 years ago

There are two mistakes that I am trying to figure out how to fix and also who is responsible for fixing them. I would love your thoughts and advice.

The first mistake is that my cabinets and fill pieces do not fit across the wall. My kitchen designer put pilasters in between each cabinet. On the design, she listed the pilasters as 1 1/8" thick, but they are actually 1 1/4" thick. That might not be a big deal for one, until you add up all of those extra 1/8" and you end up with half of the last piece of pilaster not fitting. My contractor cut into half of it and it looks bad. Unfortunately we need something to fit there because otherwise the cabinet juts out an inch from the wall. The strip can not go all of the way to the ground as it is because then it would be difficult to open the refrigerator door. The designer is not admitting to this mistake and is dragging her feet about helping me. How can I handle this? And also what would be a good solution to making it more acceptable looking?

Secondly, the cabinets above where the fridge will be sits against a soffit. The contractor redid this whole soffit and apparently its not level. He cut a piece of wood to go in between the cabinets and the soffit, but its also not straight. To fix this problem, it likely needs to be addressed by creating a more level soffit. Is this reasonable of me to ask him to fix?

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH