SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grass_cat

Contractor refused to fix his mistakes unless we pay

grass-cat
9 years ago

My elderly parents hired a contractor to build an addition. So far, he has made some big mistakes. For the mistakes that were fixable, he refused to fix the problems unless my parents paid him for materials and labor. I am so disgusted with what's been going on, and I don't know what to do, because my dad is naive and won't stand up to this contractor. The contractor intentionally lied in a contract to get my parents to sign a contract with a subcontractor.

I had asked the contractor to amend the proposal to put my name on the it with my parents' permission (since my parents are having me handle a lot of the details with the contractor), and he ignored my request.

Anyway, the first mistake was when he presented plans for the wrong square footage to the building dept, even though he was provided with the correct square footage. My parents were charged for this mistake.

The kitchen layout was supposed to be a certain way, but the contractor failed to measure for the framing of the addition to allow for an appliance by the door of kitchen, so the entire layout was changed without informing us, as if we wouldn't notice; the layout was very important, but we're stuck with it. We told him through email that we didn't want any space above the kitchen cabinets, so without consulting with us, he ordered 36" tall cabs which left 12" of space above. When I contacted him about this, he told me he was going to order the taller cabinets and fill in the extra space above with molding, but he never ordered them, and we are stuck with the original cabs.

The proposal/contract states that an anti-tracking pad would be installed on the lawn and that the topsoil will removed and kept on site, then screened and seeded, etc. But the topsoil disappeared from the yard and was replaced with crappy soil (looks like they brought it in from a dump) made up of rocks, stones, debris, with nutsedge growing. So they never screened any soil, hence all the rocks and debris. They ruined most of the front and side lawn that were in beautiful condition for many years (lots of time, effort and money were put into that lawn). My dad was on his hands and knees removing the debris for days so he could mow the lawn.The contractor went missing for over a month during this time. Finally, the contractor's fix for the problem? Put some seeds down on the crappy topsoil. Cheap fix. The lawn will never be the same, unless my parents pay to have it restored.

There's more, but I think you have a good idea here.

The contractor didn't do everything wrong, but he has not fixed his mistakes, when things were in writing. I've lost so much sleep over this, as it's killing me for what my parents are going through, and having to accept the mistakes or pay. Oh, and this contractor is someone we know and who we trusted.

Why would a contractor charge my parents for mistakes he made? How can he do this? We were at a stand-still with the project as he refused to correct some mistakes unless my parents paid him (so my parents paid twice for materials and labor).

Does anyone have advice for me? I feel like my parents are being taken advantage of. Thanks!

This post was edited by grass-cat on Fri, Jan 9, 15 at 9:02

Comments (10)