SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misswaterlow

What to do about contractor mistakes?

misswaterlow
5 years ago

We're near completion of a bathroom remodel which started in April. Along the way our contractor or his subs have made numerous dopey or sloppy mistakes, some of which they've fixed and some of which are, for all intents and purposes, unfixable (eg, lumpy hex floor, really noticeable changes in shade of the grout throughout the floor, mis-measured shelves "corrected" by all sorts of questionable jury rigging of the trim installation, alcove bathtub installed at a slant so water pools up on the inside edge...).

My question is, does our contractor owe us any sort of compensation for these mistakes we now have to live with (or rip the whole thing out and start over)? I've been holding off paying the last few bills so I can have some leverage in getting him to fix the fixable, as well as just to finish the darn thing (also was waiting to pay until I'd combed through all of the invoices because of some curiosities - at this point have found nearly $7,000 in overcharges made by his bookkeeper).

To be honest, if he'd been a sweet bumbling sort of guy, I'd be more forgiving. But he's treated nearly all of these mistakes as issues not of his own failings but of my being exasperatingly particular (eg. regarding misplacement of sconces - like 1 foot below the ceiling vs. standard height you can find in a three second google search: "That's where I always put them, but I'll move them because I know you. You like to have things the way you like them." - side note: in the end we had to go with an over-the-mirror light because he couldn't, as it turned out, bring the wiring down from where he'd coiled it inside the wall). A "whoops!" or twelve would have gone a long way.

Anyhoo. Thoughts?

Comments (19)