SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grandview33

Contractor or Architect mistake? Both or Neither?

Grandview33
10 years ago

I'm in a situation and can't decide how to handle it frankly. Building new construction. I told the architect and the builder to build the house with 9' ceilings and 7' doors, doors and windows should be the same height. The sub-floor will have another 3" added for 3/4" radiant heat panels and 3/4" solid oak. The drawings state the dimensions from floor (I assume it means sub-floor) to bottom of window headers as 7'. Contractor (framer) made the R.O height of the interior doors 7' from sub-floor too. Now the contractor is telling me we can't fit 7' doors in unless they are higher than the windows. Seems to me at 7', they are framed for 6'8" doors. 6'8" plus 3" of flooring, 3/4" jamb. What went wrong here? Now it's sheetrocked and house is sided so I can't rebuild the house's framing.

In situations like this the contactor seems to want to blame the architect and the architect is blaming the builder. The way I see it, I have to decide if I want to keep window height and door height the same and use 6'8" doors and ask the contractor for a refund/credit for the difference. OR use 7' doors and they will be about 3"-4" higher than the windows. I'm at an impasse and need help from the pros, I'm hoping someone out there understand my explanation and can help me make sense of this mess.

Comments (32)