SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilylchen

Whose role would this be - architect, contractor, designer, mfacturer?

lilylchen
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Nothing on the drawing board for now, but down the road, I can see myself undertaking an extensive remodel (of a to-be-bought house). What I can see myself either being completely thrilled or devastated by would be the work done on the windows. Around us the stock is primarily 60's ranch houses with depressing aluminum or vinly replacement windows (not much choice, have to sacrifice lack of style choice for the neighborhood and schools). I would like to replace with high quality, high craftsmanship, pre-WWII style double hung windows - what you see in homes form 1941 or older.

The details that would make or break it for me being things like properly sized casing, stool, sill, apron, both on the outside as well as inside. Most of these 60's era homes that have had windows replaced or even in new builds have usually done it "wrong" in my opinion by using skinnier and thinner boards for casing (if any at all!). I'm guessing on these measurements, but lets say they are only 4 inches wide, where historic homes have 6 inches, and say are only 3/4" thick vs 1" thick. Oftentimes, no sill or apron. And the edges of the boards are just straight cut, vs. being slightly rounded off. Or that the casing is installed first, then the siding (I think; I could have that backwards).

Also needed is the "depth" of the window panes to be accurate to the old-style, and bonus points for the extra curved part at the bottom of the outside (upper) sash (not sure it's purpose, but prevents you from completely opening the outside sash down to the bottom - maybe so your fingers can still get under it to lift it back to the top?), but I'm aware that this is probably in the realm of the window manufacturer.

Whose role is it to ensure those details (aside from mine, of course)? Does the architect lay out those details to a T, and the contractor follow it to a T? Is it a window contractor, or the manufacturer? Can a contractor (General or window subcontractor) unintentionally stray from the prescription, and that's where I need to be watching like a hawk)?

Comments (23)