SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vicsack

Architect -Contractor Issues

aztec123
10 years ago

We recently bought a house with the intention of having some remodeling done before we moved in. Basically the second floor needed to be reworked, with one bedroom subdivided/repositioned, one bathroom moved, and another bathroom added.

Before buying the house we spent a fair amount of time with a contractor at the house, getting rough estimates of cost and time to have the remodel done. The contractor didn�t think it would be 100% necessary to hire an architect to work on the project. He also opined that we would be able to get the work done in the 5 months before we moved in, if we started right away.

Fast forward. We bought the house. I decided to bring in an architect because some of the remodel was challenging from a layout point of view and I wanted it "done right". It turned out to be a positive because the architect came up with some layout solutions that neither I nor the contractor considered. But we are now a month post close, and the architect is still working on the schematic phase (not even construction documents yet), and has said the contractor needs to do some exploratory demolition before the architect can finish the schematics and move on to actual construction documents. The architect is slow to answer emails, and there just seems to be no sense of urgency.

The contractor is fuming, saying the architect is taking too long, and not focused on the project. The architect yesterday casually mentioned to me that the contractor told him there is no way the project will be close to done by our move-in date. The contractor claims he said that to light a fire under the architect, and everything will be done on time, but there may be extra costs for overtime etc (this was never mentioned prior to yesterday).

Given my tight timeframe, I realize I have not gone about this in the optimal way. I would love to get this back on track. Should I fire one/both of them? I have signed a contract with the architect, but not the contractor.

Any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated.

Comments (12)