SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleplume

Repair or replace? - KitchenAid Architect Dishwasher KUDS02FRSS0

purpleplume
12 years ago

Six years ago we redid our kitchen and went with top-of-the-line stainless steel appliances from the KitchenAid Architect series. The dishwasher hinges have just broken for the third time, and my research shows that KA now offers metal hinges as a replacement part, a welcome upgrade from the inadequate plastic hinges that came on the original.

In addition to the hinges, there are two other dishwasher issues that have recently surfaced:

1) The spray arm mounted above the top (third level) cutlery tray, sometimes drops down too far--so that when you try to slide the cutlery tray back inside the dishwasher, it blocks the tray. To get the tray to slide back inside, I have to pull out the middle tray (located where a top tray would be in a standard two-tray dishwasher unit) and then reach below that tray and stick my arm all the way back and up to gently raise the top spray arm enough to slide in the middle tray. This is a pain in the back, and I don't know if it's an easy or expensive fix.

Of course today, the top spray arm is not doing this. That must be because it knows I am about to call a service tech and it wants to embarrass me by not failing during the service call. ;)

2) The past few days, when I unloaded the dishwasher, I've noticed what looks like grains of coffee or pepper on my clean, dry dishes. At first, I thought perhaps my DH hadn't rinsed the coffee grounds off the coffee basket before loading it into the dishwasher. So the next day I checked that it was thoroughly rinsed before I started the cycle, but experienced the same result, plus this time there were white salt-like grains on the clean dishes along with the black grains.

With three known issues, I am now wondering if I should replace the unit instead of repairing it. We paid $1200 for it in 2005. There are certain features of this KA I really appreciate and would not want to give up: the third (top) tray, the all stainless steel interior, the hidden control buttons, and the 4 hour delay option on this unit.

Any thoughts on which way to go, or what might be causing those residual black and white grains?

Comment (1)