SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbeggs79

Tempered Low e window haze

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We recently moved into a view property that we are fixing up. The large picture windows in the living room had seals that had gone bad and were foggy and needed to be replaced. .... The picture right below is of the windows AFTER they had been replace. (I can't figure out how to move it out of the body of this post...sorry!)

We had a couple of companies come out and bid replacing the glass. We decided to go with low e, tempered glass with a gray tint as we have a western exposure and the sun pours into the house during the afternoons.

Right after installation, we noticed that the glass just didn't seem clear. In addition, when the sun hits the glass in the afternoons, it looks like there are "ghosts" in the windows. It's awful, worse than our old windows.

I contacted the company and the salesman said he would contact the manufacturer. The response he got from the manufacturer is that this is a common problem with low e glass and sent a PDF explaining why.

I have searched and searched and found very few mentions of any type of problem like this. I called other glass companies and they say they haven't heard of it. Even the salesman said he hadn't heard of it, nor had his boss.

He is now "offering" to replace the four large picture windows, but not the eight smaller windows, saying that he's "guessing" that it has to do with the tempering. So he'd replace it with tempered glass but not low e.

Does this make ANY sense to anyone in the industry? I'm at my wits end!

Thanks for any advice and suggestions!

Comments (5)