SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

Is low E cost effective on north facing patio doors?

californian
17 years ago

In my area of California seems like the big three for vinyl sliding patio doors are Milgard, Superior, and Certainteed. I wanted to replace two 8 foot patio doors on the north facing side of my house for two reason, traffic noise supression and my old aluminum doors no longer seal very well. Of the three brands the only one whose standard size was just about an exact fit was the Certainteed. Problem is they wanted $273 extra for low E glass for each door (I am told low E or just plain glass is so much more on patio doors than windows as it has to be tempered which makes the glass cost four times what regular glass costs, plus patio door glass is 3/16 inch thick compared to 1/8 inch for windows). I decided to go with plain glass as I figured I would have to save an awful lot on gas bills to justify the large difference in cost especially considering the doors are on the north side of the house with a large roof overhang so blocking sunlight didn't seem necessary. In southern California winter temperatures rarely drop below freezing even on the coldest winter nights so I don't know how important the heat retaining properties of low E glass are to me, especially considering I would close the vertical blinds at night so there probably wouldn't be much radiant energy escaping anyway. Did I make the right decision?

Comment (1)