SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcjennyd

Marvin Ultimate glass choices-LowE2 or LowE3? HELP PLS!!

marcjennyd
5 years ago

We live in Madison, MS (just north of Jackson) The front (faces NW) of our home has a 10' porch. The back of our home (faces SE) has a 14' porch. It is a 2 story home with 2' eave roof overhang. We are on a massive lake & have 99 windows/Clad doors to maximize views of the water.

With LowE3 our house meets Energy Star ratings:

VT: .40-.41 depending on the window

SHGC: averages .18 (need .25 or less to meet Energy Star for the south central region)

U Factor .29-.30 (need .3 or lower to meet Energy Star)

Question- will this VT be dark?

With LowE2 I do not meet Energy Star ratings, but higher VT!:

VT: .46

SHGC: .26-.27 (need .25 or lower to meet Energy Star)

U Factor: .29-.30 (this meets Energy Star, however we have a LOOOONG hot summer)

Question- will this VT be much better? Close enough the the needed .25 or less SHCG & just go for it for the higher VT?

Help!! What to do?! Sacrifice VT & go Energy Star? We picked an A/C SEER of 16. Gosh, I thought designing a custom floor plan was hard & now I need to make a window decision ASAP. I want us to be comfortable, yet we want to enjoy our beautiful views.

One more random question too. Is Marvin that much better than Sierra Pacific? The cost is basically the same, however with SP I can meet Energy Star on half of the house with an overall higher VT with their standard lowE272. (per the sales rep print outs they providing specking each window) BUT, it's not Marvin & shouldn't this brand cost less than Marvin?! Decisions, decisions!!

Comments (11)