SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sproic

Elephant Ear plant slowly yellowing and dying

sproic
5 years ago

So I'm having trouble with my indoor elephant ear plant that was thriving in the same spot for about 3 months with no changes in watering or fertilizing habits. It was doing great in its pot (new leaves being produced, full green and not withering, rotated weekly) for quite some time. It sits close to a window getting indirect sunlight all day (Northern California, western exposure). Everything was going great except for an occasional overwatering that I figured out was happening a few months ago when the leaves started to produce water droplets on the top a day or two after watering.

Now, slowly, over the last 10 weeks, older leaves are starting to yellow on the edges and newer leaves are being produced from the bulbs, but they yellow and die before reaching maturity. At the current rate, the older leaves are dying off faster than new ones are being produced, though new ones are being produced from the bulbs and unfurling from existing stalks. The ones that unfurl from existing stalks tend to survive but quickly start to yellow and die within a few weeks.

I tried moving the plant closer to the light, but it made no difference. I tried fertilizing it lightly but it made no difference. I tried cutting back on water and it made no difference.

I don't think I'm overwatering, but at this point (check photos, just watered a day or two ago) all the leaves are showing yellowing in spots around the edges on the underside (as if the plant isn't getting enough nutrients) or in more distinct spots on the top.

Any advice to troubleshoot? What concerns me is that I haven't changed any of my watering habits or its location for months. The dying off literally started slowly and out of the blue.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths