SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbswoyer

Changing a dark ceiling and tall brick fireplace wall in a family room

barbswoyer
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are planning to update our dated family room. It has a dark wood vaulted ceiling (about 16' high) and a full height brick walled fireplace. The room is generally dark (has a porch adjacent to it). Wall space for lighting (sconces etc) is limited. We just added new windows and I would like to lighten and update the room. I was considering painting the entire room, including ceiling, brick and walls a creamy white (white down, Ben Moore). Other consideration is off white ceiling, trim and Edgecomb Gray (BM) walls (and brick either?)

. The room opens to our kitchen which is off white, wood cherry floors and black quartz counters. My other idea is to add 7' shiplap (matching the wainscoting) above the mantel, and then adding a reclaimed wood mantel and a new hearth, sconces on either side of the mantel, keeping the rest of the exposed brick either painted creamy white or adding stone veneer. We are trying to keep cost to a minimum while updating and brightening the room. We will also lower and replace the fan (using oil rubbed bronze even if we paint white?) and I am stuck on whether or not to keep/update track lighting or do away with it entirely . We normally have two standing lamps and a table lamp for light also. Any advice appreciated. Current walls are Lenox Tan with White Down trim.

Comments (15)