SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggie_ll

Privacy hedge along fence line

maggie_ll
5 years ago

We are located in Zone 5a, South Central Wisconsin

Our family moved into a new home one year ago. We love almost everything about the home (schools, neighborhood, the house itself) but the yard was in extremely rough shape, not to mention the giant pool we're having filled in this year.

We removed quite a few weed trees on the other side of our back yard fence. We still have a lot of work yet, but eventually we are hoping to create an evergreen privacy hedge along that fence. In addition to a busy road in the distance, there is a church parking lot directly behind the fence which is up on an incline, so cars parked there have a direct view into our living room despite the 6-foot fence. Our neighborhood only allows 6 foot fences so a privacy hedge is the only way I can see getting any privacy long term.

I planted four upright junipers last fall that have done very well so far. I love the look of them and am very happy with them, but I've heard they don't grow as quickly as I would ideally like, and I'm concerned that I planted them too close to the fence. I originally intended to plant arborvitae on the other side of the fence and juniper on our side, since I prefer the look of the junipers and I know they are slower growing. There are two Moonglow junipers and two Wichita Blue junipers, all planted about 3 and a half feet from the fence. Will they be okay or should I move them further from the fence? They are planted about 8 feet apart.

I purchased two Hetz Wintergreen arborvitae a few days ago. Should I plant them on the other side of the fence (where they would get more sun) or between the junipers? My property line extends only about 5 feet on that side of the fence, and I'm concerned that with the church parking lot being raised up, they will suffer from root rot or moisture damage being at the bottom of the small incline. Should I plant them on my side of the fence in between the junipers? Can they coexist peacefully as a mixed hedge? Or will one species eventually crowd the other out?

Ignore the giant pool that takes up our entire yard and the sunken cover...that's a whole other issue!

Comments (5)