SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natalie_mcanarney

Need help with picking exterior materials

Nat Mc
5 years ago

I need help picking exterior materials(brick, stone, siding, or stucco). I feel like anything more than two materials looks busy.

Comments (113)

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

That's lovely! It will be so much brighter. And flows so much better. Yay!!

Nat Mc thanked Holly Stockley
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

WOW. Just wow.

Not only will this house flow better, have more light, and be cheaper to build, but I'm willing to bet it's the prettiest house in your subdivision.

Amazing job by both of you, Nat and ARG. Nat, you and your family should be pretty pleased, especially considering how little time has elapsed since the beginning of this thread!

Nat Mc thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Related Discussions

Need to pick exterior lights. Please help!

Q

Comments (3)
    Id do a semi flush or a recessed at the entry. over the garage id do a simple down light. Your home would benefit more from landscape lighting. and since you dont really have many areas for decorative lighting on the walls I would keep them simple. https://www.build.com/product/summary/1366121?uid=3214994&jmtest=gg-gbav2_3214994&inv=1&&source=gg-gba-pla_3214994!c1710656117!a68353638673!dc!ng&gclid=CjwKCAiAzp6eBhByEiwA_gGq5GUFu-JXsDvM-9t8RKTetYz2mq9nBtT-HLZLNEj9qX2PnnayMAXobBoCRhoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds https://www.lampsplus.com/sfp/70D81/?store=62&cm_mmc=GOO-SH--NA--NA-_-70D81&sourceid=DFGPM70D81&gclid=CjwKCAiAzp6eBhByEiwA_gGq5OkwKt3h3ix5WZ8eiUrKVkizZ9jz-cfm7CeVkrsKEgz-dWjxbq5JzBoCm0sQAvD_BwE
    ...See More

Need help picking a new exterior color.

Q

Comments (5)
    The siding color is just too yellow for me. If you like a lighter color instead of the sage that has been suggested, just tone down the yellow but still use a warm off white.
    ...See More

Need HELP picking a coastal exterior house color!!

Q

Comments (3)
    We aren't on the beach, but found several in that family that I loved--maybe one would work for you? These are all Benjamin Moore. - BM Coventry Gray (gray that reads as blue) - BM Carolina Gull (blue-green gray) - BM Sea Star (light teal) - BM Cape May Cobblestone (green gray)
    ...See More

Help! I need to pick an exterior paint !

Q

Comments (12)
    Very nice house! and I lke the colour of the siding but would paint all trim white along with the front door and garage. I suggest you update the ramp above the front door and porch with one that's not too formal looking, and replace your sconces with black larger ones. A natural fibre runner would look nice on the stairs. It looks like the windows at the back of the house are already painted white. To give your garage at the back more of a pool house look, I suggest you install a white pergola along the front and replace the garage door with a more interesting looking one. If not used as a garage, perhaps you can replace it with modern looking french doors with all glass panels.
    ...See More
  • Architectrunnerguy
    5 years ago

To provide some context, both for the process and the project, here's the original site plan:

And being a corner lot, here's the other "Front" elevation:

And here's my quick "Parti" or the "Big Idea" in laymen's speak. Moved the house forward creating a better back yard, got the garage off of the corner and placed "Grandma's Room" there with a private courtyard enclosed by a low brick wall with a gate:

And since we do have two "front" elevations being seen at the same time I built a quick SketchUp model of the house:

And now the exterior door to "Grandma's room" has some definition

Studied an alternate roof (which I actually like better but Natalie isn't sure),. First one would be all brick and the second one would be 2nd floor shakes, maybe flaired at the base over 1st floor brick, (HOA requires some brick)

Aerial

But either way, we greatly simplified the roof. I asked that the carpenters send me a case of their finest Texas beer when they're done framing...LOL!:

Not there yet but making progress! Great lady to work with!

• simmtalker
    5 years ago
    I would say huge improvement, but that is a gross understatement.
  • User
    5 years ago

Nice work. Make sure the builder knows he doesn't own the copyright to the design or you might be seeing it all over town.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

I like the new design, but I don't get reminded of Grand Teton National Park.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Huge improvement. What is the size of grandmas room now?

• rmsaustin
    5 years ago

Someone needs to save the "before" (first post and posts from 5/17)) and "after" (ARG's post from today) of this thread, so that when someone asks the question, "what difference can an architect make?", a link can be provided -- the pictures say it all -- wow, just wow! I hope Nat Mc will post progress and reveal pics.

• damiarain
    5 years ago

Congrats on the new plan! Big improvement (love the new roof line :)

Couple of questions... Where is the laundry? In the mudroom? I like the private garden off of grandma’s space! Will her room be large enough? Also, will having the access to the upstairs right outside her room be too noisy?

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

Studied an alternate roof (which I actually like better but Natalie isn't sure),. First one would be all brick and the second one would be shakes, maybe flaired at the base over brick, (HOA requires some brick)

I drew this a few years ago as a learning exercise. Might help the OP visualize the alternate roof ARG has proposed.

Nat Mc thanked PPF.
  • Nat Mc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry I’m so late to the party...three kids keep things fast paced.

For all those asking, the guest suite and potential MIL suite is about 11x12.

The laundry is off the garage and I’m thinking it would work best for us to have the mud room in the same area.

Lots of compliments from my realtor but he does mention the 5bed to 4.5 bath is an odd ratio. I absolutely appreciate the functionality of two baths upstairs but could we get away with one?

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I would love an extra bathroom upstairs.

• qam999
    5 years ago

I'm especially thrilled with the attention to a private entrance for Grandma, in addition to the much larger room....this will give her more a feel of having her own place. There is always the chance to blend with family too.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

I love the last elevation ARG created.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

ARG's elevation, above, is vast an improvement that it's simply defies comparison.

Give the man some cake, and see if he has any free time to further develop (for appropriate compensation, besides cake)...!

• rockybird
    5 years ago

Wow! Much better rendition. I love how grandma has her own room, courtyard and entrance. I’d keep the two baths upstairs. When your kids are out of the house, and return as adults with their kids, or if you have guests, having that extra bathroom will be really nice.

• just_janni
    5 years ago

The new plan will be STUNNING sitting on your lot. It will look very grand. Like an estate, like it belongs. Like it's been there forever. Not like that monstrosity from before.

Bravo!

• Nat Mc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Great!...appreciate all the input especially on the bathroom. Any suggestions on a galley style kitchen?

• cpartist
    5 years ago

What do you mean about any suggestions for a galley style kitchen?

• One Devoted Dame
    5 years ago

Any suggestions on a galley style kitchen?

Place the refrigerator closest to the eating/socializing area, so that people aren't crossing the length of the kitchen to get a refill.

Offset everything, so that none of your appliances conflict with each other, even if you don't ever think the fridge will be open at the same time that the dishwasher is being loaded *and* cookies are being taken out of the oven *and* butter is being melted in the microwave *and* raspberry glaze is simmering on the cooktop.

If you plan on upper cabinets suspended from the ceiling over the "island" side, go with glass doors on both sides, to give it a more open feel.

Find a kitchen designer -- or -- post your plan in the Kitchens subforum here on GardenWeb. :-D

Nat Mc thanked One Devoted Dame
  • opaone
    5 years ago

What a great story this thread is! If only stories like this were more common. Congrats Nat Mc.

• Nat Mc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cpartist just general galley kitchen considerations. Like ODD just gave

• Najeebah
    5 years ago

Hi, I've been away a while.
    Great work there! It's a major improvement in numerous ways.

It's not so common we see separate dining rooms, I like that. It works well.
    The 2nd bedroom is much better, kudos.

What's happened since, any decision on the roof line?

The breakfast room doesn't get eastern light. Any chance of playing around there now?
    In the kitchen, I dislike the straight, bar-like seating - makes for bad conversation & eye contact, and a lot of shuffling platters around. Something with seating on 2+ sides is better.

Nat Mc thanked Najeebah
  • Nat Mc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Nat Mc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The latest and greatest:)

• cpartist
    5 years ago

What a pretty looking house!

Can you post the layout larger? It's too small to see.

• Nat Mc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Nat Mc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This might be easier to read?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Thank you for contacting ARG.

• Nat Mc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks to all who encouraged reaching out to ARG(Cpartist, I’m talking to you!) He’s a dream to work and we are thrilled with the results. I’m pretty sure I’ll be posting pics and questions as things unfold. Stay tuned:)

• cpartist
    5 years ago

This is such a huge and positive difference. I'm particularly thrilled for Grandma who now will be able to have her garden and more importantly, the privacy and quiet she deserves when she is in her bedroom.

A few comments:

I notice there is a door from the hallway to Grandma's room. Is that for convenience for Grandma? I ask because there is a separate powder room and if not for convenience, I'd ditch the second door to Grandma's bathroom.

I also note that right now you have it as a tub for Grandma. Unless it's one of those walk in tubs, tubs can be dangerous for the elderly if they have any mobility issues. A walk in shower would be better and as long as you have tubs in other bathrooms, you should be good if you ever decide to resell.

I just wanted to also bring up a point to lurkers. So many people design the master off the living room and have it so they share a wall and also so you have to walk through or around the living room furniture. Note how well done this is done with a "spine" that leads you past the living room to get to the master? Well done!

Nat Mc thanked cpartist
  • Architectrunnerguy
    5 years ago

Not trying to diss Grandma or anything but I just noticed I forgot her toilet!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

I thought that was part of her exercise program.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

LOL to both of you.

I just assumed it would go on the side of the tub/shower.

• bennyben75
    5 years ago

Nice house! Such an improvement over the original floor plan.

• Nat Mc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cpartist great points. Mom’s bathroom will be a zero entry shower and we may consider getting rid of the hall entry door. Also trying to work the side exterior entry to come by the stairs rather than the mud/utility room. Love the general design/theme of the exterior but stuck on the brick color...we have time to figure that out but if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Glad to hear Grandma gets a zero entry shower. I have one and I love it.

Also trying to work the side exterior entry to come by the stairs rather than the mud/utility room

Wouldn't it still be better off coming through the mudroom? I'm thinking working in the yard, etc?

Love the general design/theme of the exterior but stuck on the brick color...we have time to figure that out but if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

My personal favorite is a weathered brick look with multiple colors. Gives it character IMO.

Nat Mc thanked cpartist
    5 years ago

lol Nat -- needing help with the brick etc. is what brought you here in the first place : ) .

• Naf_Naf
    5 years ago

My personal favorite is a weathered brick look with multiple colors. Gives it character IMO.

I also like bricks that look weathered like these Cherokee Old Orleans
    Bricks I Like

Nat Mc thanked Naf_Naf
  • Nat Mc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

LOL Becky...looks like I’ve come full circle:) Yes Naf and Cpartist I love the washed out brick. Also love this light brown/dark brown contrast. Thinking dark stained pergola over moms garden and using some landscaping to add interest and color to the exterior.

I hear you on the mud room Cpartist, but there is a door from the garage to the mud room(family will use) and another from the garage to the backyard. So I’m thinking the side entry (guests will use) would be better if it didn’t lead to the mud room/laundry...rather not have guests walk through my laundry mess:)

• Nat Mc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Almost a year later but it has begun!

5 years ago

Good luck! And keep us posted on the progress!

• Nat Mc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Foundation done! Framing next

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

^^ You've got quite the little character there!

• Nat Mc
    Original Author
    5 years ago

He keeps it lively:)

• Nat Mc
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Framing is coming along.

• Nat Mc
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Looks good so far.

Hopefully not too many changes?

and thank you for posting. So thrilled to see the design take shape.

• Nat Mc
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If you‘re interested in following the progress of the build, below is the new thread

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/new-build-in-central-texas-dsvw-vd~5700181