SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

While we're talking about vacation rentals…

writersblock (9b/10a)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

The recent threads about vacation rentals are making me ask a question that has been bothering me for some time now.

I totally understand doing a vacay rental if you're in aktillery's situation, or if you have a guesthouse/garage apt/casita on your property. And I understand buying property for this when the numbers work out.

But here's what I've been trying to understand, without any success, for some time now: Friends of mine have been looking for a cottage in a town about an hour away from me, but they've been consistently outbid by people/LLCs/etc buying for short-term rentals. When houses were selling for up to, say, $150K, I totally got that. But lately prices in that area have been rising by 50 to 100% a year, and their taxes are one mil from the top allowable rate. Then you have to factor in the cost of having a service do your caretaking if you aren't in the immediate area, which most of them aren't.

So when I see a house for sale for $440K that is an admittedly popular rental that goes for an average of $120 a night, I just don't get it. The taxes on that house when sold would be around $6K a year, for one thing.

I just don't understand how the numbers work out, especially since there are several months of the year when rentals are unlikely down here.

ETA For instance, there was a cutish old house that got the full Fixer Upper disembowelment that sold for $425K, to become an AirBnB. The calendar never shows more than 90 unavailable days a year, usually many fewer rented days, and the top of the season rent is $143. Insurance for that house must be close to $8K and taxes, about $4K.

Comments (19)