SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kyleg_gw

Automatic watering @ APARTMENT while on vacation?

KyleG
13 years ago

As a prefatory note, I am fairly new to container growing.

My wife and I live in an second-floor apartment with no water faucet/spigot/thing outside (but we do have a veranda of about 50 sq ft for plants and a couple chairs). We have some plants we need to water while we're gone. We are recent transplants to the area, so we don't have anyone we can ask to come do the watering while we're gone (for a week).

So I'm trying to figure out how best to water the plants while we're gone (a mixture of flowers like marigolds and fruits and veggies like carrots, scallions, jalapenos, etc.).

It seems every system I have found that is commercially available (and also affordable for a young couple growing a few plants for fun) connects to a water faucet outdoors. Our apartment does not have one of these.

Ideally, what I end up doing would be something we stick with, so I don't want "move the plants indoors, connect to indoor sink faucet" to be the solution here.

So any suggestions?

My current idea is to buy a 5-gallon bucket, fill it with water and seal it. Have a hole near the very bottom attached to a spigot, and connect one of those water timers you can buy for about $20 or $30 to it. Then run some hose from that to the plants.

That being said, I'm not sure how to get that hose to water all the plants evenly (I guess drill holes in the hose?) and a few other details.

To repeat myself, any suggestions? Preference is is for something cheap over long-term durability. An ugly rig is fine if that's what it takes. :)

Also, hello everyone, I'm new here!

PS I've also read about a "bathtub method" that I guess I could fall back on (put pots in bathtub, fill with some water (how much?), cover with plastic wrap), but I would love to build something that waters outdoor plants, too!

Comments (10)