SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
javiwa

Amending soil on steep, rocky slope - Zone 10/SoCal

javiwa
6 years ago

Hi, all!

The CA Gardening and Ground Covers forums don't seem to get much traffic, so I thought I'd post here -- TIA for your indulgence.

I live in TX, but visit my mom periodically (read: I'm not around 24/7 to handle/monitor yard projects, unfortunately). She has a sandy/rocky/dry slope in her backyard. Pic 1 and Pic 2 are the extent of it, and the right side continues onward to the street (but not as sloped a section):

When my dad was alive, for decades he tended the entire yard. He planted various ground covers (albeit w/ spotty success) and a couple of juniper trees in this slope area. Since my dad's passing several years ago, my mom has been in simple 'weed control' mode. At 85, she's finally been convinced by us that she should not be climbing around up there!

Even with a small amount of misting with a hose, the water (and dirt) just comes down the slope in streams, accumulating at the bottom.

This past week, I planted six trailing lantana (see Pic 2). Digging each hole was an absolute bear -- rocky, dry, hard. I amended with some steer manure and planted the best I could. The lantana are doing great, but I have to take a lot of care misting the soil to avoid runoff.

Am I amending the soil properly? Is there a better way? I have only the local big box stores at my disposal.

Eventually, we may just have to hire a local landscaping company to plant the entire area; but I'd like to do what I can on a small scale for now. I'd also read that it's best to incorporate more than one variety of ground cover/plant to optimize erosion prevention, but that'll have to be waaaayyyy down the line. We're just trying to stabilize the hill, keep the weeds at bay, and make the upkeep (watering) easy for my mom.

In TX, mulch rules. Out here, not so much (it seems); and I'm not sure why. But I'm thinking placing mulch around any new plantings would be a good idea (?).

Lowes has this stuff:

This, from HD:

Better than nothing?

Again, thanks for any advice.

Comments (4)