SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

Good Beginner Climber for Hot/Sunny SoCal Porch?

aimeekitty
14 years ago

Hi everyone! This is my first post here (I hope I'm doing this ok...!) I spent most of yesterday and today reading and searching posts. (so much interesting information and you guys have such lovely flowers!!)

I have a western-facing porch that gets a lot of sun. I live in Southern California in the Antelope Valley area, Zone 9-10. I'm going to try to test my soil tomorrow.

it looks roughly like this:

{{gwi:331313}}

I've never grown roses on my own before, but have always loved them and I'm excited to finally be getting my own house where I can play with them.

I'd love some suggestions on some good climbing roses for beginners that would do well in my area? I'm scared of getting a first rose and then killing it or having it not bloom. I know you guys already have said that getting a mostly thornless and disease resistant rose is good for people starting out, so I'm placing those as a priority.

I'd also like fragrant repeat bloomers.

Other than that, I prefer pale roses in pinkish white, pinks or apricots. I like lots of different shapes of roses and I don't mind old-style roses, either.

Some I was considering from searching your posts were: Sombreuil, Crepuscule, Renae, Blush Noisette, Climbing Pinkie, Cl. Lady Hillingdon.... but am totally open to others!

I'm actually FROM Charleston, South Carolina, so Blush Noisette was kind-of nostalgic for me. Am open to suggestions, as I know very little!

(Also in the front yard, I want to plant some sage and lavendar probably Thanks so much in advance for any tips you can give or information you can point me to.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus