SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

OT: Winterizing...in coastal SoCal?

plllog
6 years ago

A real estate agent trolling for business came to the door. I told her I wasn't interested. Pleasantly. She asked if she could just give me her garbage paper--How To Winterize Your House. I about laughed in her face. It's in the 70's. It rarely gets below 50° F. We start getting hysterical when it does because the plants suffer, as do the outdoor pets. I asked her. She said, "It's just to help you." I said, "You tell me. How do we "winterize" where the pipes don't freeze and there's no ice?" She said, "You're right," and slunk away.

I truly didn't mean to be unkind. I thought maybe she'd have something to say that was appropriate to the neighborhood. There are mountains where there's snow, ice, freezing temperatures, etc., but real estate is intensely local here, and people who rep my neighborhood aren't also selling in the mountains. Every Fall, we do have the gutters cleaned and the heater filters changed, but even when it's cold here, most people don't call it "Winter" and I've never heard of anyone "winterizing".

Comments (36)