SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tessiess

Climber Suggestions

I'm in the process of redoing my front yard and adding more old garden roses. I have some wonderful orders on the way from Rogue Valley Roses and Antique Rose Emporium and am contemplating another with Vintage..... Back in the early to mid 1990s I ordered a bunch from Roses of Yesterday and Today, Heirloom Old Garden Roses, and ARE. Now I need MORE.;)

On one side of my front yard is a MASSIVE climbing Cecile Brunner that my mother planted decades ago. Its base is now so huge it looks like a tree trunk. It is planted near the street and then swallows up most of that side of the yard for 20/30 feet up to close to the house and it also goes up a tall juniper spire and cascades out of it. This plant blooms repeatedly from spring thru summer and into fall and tends to stop traffic as it is a mass of pink! It also swallowed up a number of victims--Shailer's White Moss, Madame Hardy, Potter and Moore, and I forget how many others. Survivors close to the house are two that are easily 6 feet each, Paul Ricault and Madame William Paul--both bloom their guts out! However, I have one sickly rose that is on the other side of the tall juniper spire and that I've never bothered to replace. It is Paul Neyron, a rust magnet, yuck, which will be shovel pruned this year.

I thought it would be nice to put another climber in that spot, one that could go up the juniper spire and also go over the top of climbing Cecile Brunner, haha! So perhaps not the same color. I don't like modern roses or anything in the orange shades. Do love yellow though, and I do like to try different and rare roses. This location is pretty sunny, although it can get some protection from the juniper spire in late afternoon and a *little* afternoon filtered sun from a gingko tree across the driveway (but this tree doesn't block the sun much, and SoCal summers are pretty hot and bright!).

What else I have in the yard, on the other side of the walkway are Felicitie Parmentier (lovely!), Jenny Duval (suckers like mad and blooms like crazy), a HUGE plant of York and Lancaster (long, long canes that climb over the top of a juniper bush, my York and Lancaster is VERY happy it blooms for a long period in the spring and it's flowers perfume the whole yard), a gorgeous Baty's Pink Pillar (from ARE and growing way, way up into a crepe myrtle, the BPP has repeated flushes of flat, packed with petals light pink flowers), a tall The Pilgrim (that rarely blooms, leaving this year), two once blooming light pink mosses from Heirloom (and I can't remember their names!), and a bad rose that has only bloomed once in about 15 years (and that was one flower--from checking my old catalog records it appears to be Mme A. Labbey).

Suggestions for a companion/competitor to climbing Cecile Brunner? A climbing tea? I don't have any teas..... It can get huge as far as I'm concerned, as long is it is willing to go UP and not simply spread sideways (the driveway is close and I do want to park the cars *g*). Is Marechal Niel worth trying???? Or forget about it? One of the Cochets? Something else? Although I'd prefer a repeat-bloomer, maybe a rambler? Or what about a Noisette?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths