SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
k9fitworx

Standard depth refrigerator build-out suggestions please!

Michelle A
5 years ago

I am building new home and designed a 36" x 36" alcove for a standard-depth fridge (although waiting for the architect to revise the alcove as it is currently showing only 30" depth on the attached diagram) Since I could design the space from scratch, it seemed like a no-brainer to be able to get that built-in look without the price tag of a built-in or counter-depth (and having a full size space!)

It wasn't until I started specifying appliances that I found that the high end brands don't make a standard depth fridge. I did find a Dacor https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/DTF364SIWS.html but not-so-good reviews and when I didn't see the 36" width on Dacor website, I contacted them to find out its been discontinued.

I had planned on going with Kitchenaid for all appliances, but when I started pricing out, found Viking was not much more expensive (especially with their current promo of 5% cash back on ANY appliance purchase over 10k, unlike the other brands that normally offer standard packages. But Viking does not have a standard-depth fridge and not sure how their refrigerators rate anyway.

From what I have seen in these forums, using a standard fridge in a designer kitchen has it's challenges and I am not the first one trying to find a solution. Of course, I love the fully integrated look of a built-in, but not even sure I could get that look even with the 36" alcove as I don't fully understand the mechanics/clearance that the hinges would need. Would the best I could expect be more like a counter depth (doors protruding a few inches outside the opening?

I suppose I have choices with how to build out the space above the fridge, whether it's to extend cabinets to line up with the face of fridge, or even build more of a boxed soffit that could be open shelving, mini barn doors (and/or even split the overhead space and share it over the vanity in the bathroom.

Also, if I were to get a lower-end standard fridge, I thought having cabinet panels would hide the non-matching appliance, but now also finding standard fridges don't offer panel-ready kits! So back to the drawing board. I suppose finding a flat front profile (vs curved) would integrate the best, but now without cabinet panels, I am worried the stainless steel won't match the stainless steel of viking wall oven. Sigh.

So unless I just throw in the towel and settle for a small capacity counter-depth, does anyone have suggestions about my situation? Thanks!

Comments (23)