SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lbernardbuchan

Dining Room Recommendation

Linda
5 years ago

We bought this house approximately one year ago. We purchased the dining room furniture from the people that sold the house to us. Once we were here I was disappointed with myself that I did that. Now I am finding it very dark and heavy. I had been looking at furniture at Restoration Hardware and had an order ready to go. The sellers were selling some furniture because they were going overseas and we got a better deal buying from the sellers so we went with it. Now I am quite unhappy with my dining room. Too traditional, but the quality of the furniture is very good The room has lovely wainscotting and it has textured wallpaper (which I DID love at the time), but now I don't care for this anymore. I would like to go a bit more modern. However I cannot go out and buy new furniture. My thought is to paint the walls a shade of white and paint the 2 hutches; what colour I don't know, maybe a shade of grey or some shade of taupe. I am planning to remove the top part of the hutch. My understanding is that it is not good to paint the top of the table so I thought I could leave this dark. I can also change the material on the seating of the chairs which are just cream right now. Can I get any recommendations on this? I have included a picture of our family room so you can see what I want to do. I am so stuck. I really need help. I just don't know what do do in the dining room to up date it. The carpet is also on the stairs going to the 2nd floor. I attached a picture. I would prefer not to have to replace now. The walls are not quite so gold as this picture shows but very textured in that old fashioned wallpaper. I looked it up, and it is called: Anaglypta Supaglypta Spencer Wallpaper. Pictures were part of what was left and I will happily take down. ANY HELP WOULD BE SO APPRECIATE!

Comments (61)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!