SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazy4wood

Dining Room Set Recommendation $5-10k

crazy4wood
9 years ago

Hey all,

So, as my user name suggests, I am a woodworker. I build most of the furniture for our house using high quality solid wood and joinery (typically sapele or hard maple for wood, mortise & tenon and dovetails for joinery), but I have been redirected on this new adventure...

My mother-in-law has decided that she wants to be responsible for purchasing my wife, kids, and myself, a "high end" dining room set that will last us a lifetime. She wants us to be able to talk about this set for years to come and possible pass it on to our kids someday (we are in our 40's). She has cut us a check to pay for the set and said "no Rooms To Go" as if I would even consider it! The two beds that I built for my oldest two boys were constructed out of solid 8/4 sapele!

Our budget is between $5k to $10k (I am going to end up chipping money into this to get the quality I want, hence the range). We would like to get a table and six chairs. I think a hutch or buffet might have to come later, but surprise me. Our existing set is sort of a mixed set of 1950's Broyhill lines... the buffet is a Saga series, the chairs and table appear to be from the Brasilia and/or Sculptra lines. We talked about refinishing them, but just haven't gotten around to them (we honestly don't use the dining room much considering we have three little boys, 100% of our family living more than 1000 miles away, and a really nice eat-in kitchen table with six chairs). I would prefer solid wood.

What I have come across so far is the Vermont Wood Studios site... Our style is fairly wide open at this point. I never considered myself a "shaker" guy, but the 2-3 that I liked the most from the Vermont site are Shaker... go figure. We prefer dark woods (cherry, walnut, mahogany... or sapele as a less expensive clone!).

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

-Louie

Comments (3)