SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rfharmon

Decor recommendations for living and dining room needed

rfharmon
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I thought a ton of my furniture would work in my new space but then I went to west elm and pottery barn and realized that the trend is to pair cognac with grey— not black like I already own.

I already planned to buy 2 new chairs so they could swivel to see outside but I just bought a black palisade chair (that I can still return, because it hadn’t been shipped yet).

my question are:

1. am I making a big mistake accenting with black since trend is cognac and grey?

2. should I return the palisade chair? I’m concerned that I may not have enough space for it in my living room or maybe I’m introducing too much black furniture?

I can also used any suggestions that you may have for a:

1. living room rug

2. coffee table

3. Island chairs (height of island), I’ll put the stools downstairs in my den, the height of the island is 36”

4. dining table

5. anything else you’d recommend

here is the design inspiration picture for my dining room:

here is a picture of my dining room:

here are some pictures of my living room:

my design inspiration for my living room:

Comments (164)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Just here for support. Agree with all that was stated above.
    It’s looking great already!!! It’ll look even better so soon 💖💖💖

Here’s to less mistakes this week lol 🥂

Come back with more...

rfharmon thanked HU-187528210
  • justcallmepool
    2 years ago

Love the black wall and wood slats!

I think I actually like the black console best even though I didn't think I would :) With the wood table & slats, I worry the wood console would be too much from some views, especially if it's 3 different wood tones.

What kind of stone top would you add to the black console? Because that may be just the perfect thing to help it stand out from the wall but not completely contrast. With the black wall now I'm feeling go all in with it!

Gorgeous space and I love your style and boldness. Sorry about your DH, I can relate haha

rfharmon thanked justcallmepool
  • Related Discussions

Need Decor Advice for New Home Living/Dining Room

Q

Comments (5)
    I would suggest a much larger and more colorful rug for the sitting area. Your TV setup looks awkward and unattractive. Can it be changed somehow? I would paint the brick wall in the dining room the same color as the other walls to open up the whole space. I would remove that large mirror and put a smaller painting there and also remove the tall bookcase(?) near the couch which adds nothing to the decor. The mantle should be cleared and some much larger items placed there. I don't know how you feel about painting the fireplace the same color as the wall, but that would also make the room look more cohesive and spacious. I'm afraid the ceiling lamp by the front door looks too small and droopy to have any impact. You need something much larger that has a greater presence. Another thing to consider is white blinds instead of brown ones on each side of the fireplace. Again this will open up the room. I would remove that small table to the right of the TV with the little lamp and put a great-looking floor lamp there. Is there some way you can do without the bulky ottoman? I think that's one reason that area looks so crowded. I would think about replacing it with a small but sturdy glass and metal coffee table through which you can see the rug, giving the illusion that there is almost nothing there. Hope I haven't overloaded you with too many ideas. It's your home and you can do whatever seems right to you. If you follow even a few suggestions you might find that some of your concerns are removed.
    ...See More

Decor help- living room and dining room

Q

Comments (1)
    An observation: the chandelier in the dark room doesn’t work with the sputnik one. Something like this light would work. Rectangular in shape, so great for over the table, and the same metal as the sputnik. Assuming the dark room is the dining room, then bring that color into the living room with a sofa in that color. Art can be whatever you love, and considering It is a playroom, something fun would be appropriate.
    ...See More

Need help with living room/dining room paint and decor

Q

Comments (29)
    Yes, arrangement looks much better!! If you are anxious to paint, you could roll out the Natural Wicker, as you are going to need a primer anyway over that deep paint. Won't hurt to use is as basically a primer. I can't really recommend a paint until you are finished with the room. Your next step will be chairs, lamps, end tables, lamps (I would get a nesting coffee table or oval), art and drapes (which are too short).
    ...See More

looking for recommendations for decorating in kitchen/living room

Q

Comments (16)
    I'm confused. You don't have a large family but like to entertain. And, you don't want chairs across from the benches. So how do you entertain? You have dinner parties where guests just sit in a row and nobody faces each other? Or other gatherings where some people stand and face those who are sitting? Do you have a dining room? Where do you regularly eat?
    ...See More
  • RedRyder
    2 years ago

Put up the slats and the right console will be obvious. I’m betting the black one will work better against the slats. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

rfharmon thanked RedRyder
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

try a diff stain. you aren't supposed to apply more than one coat. I like varathane over minwax. General Finishes is even better. A Spiced Walnut would be perfect. American walnut is an ashier, green based tone. you need just a touch of red to warm it up to go w/that console.

you can also mix colors to get just the right tone. american walnut may be mixed w/a lighter, slightly reddish tone to warm it up a bit.

rfharmon thanked Beth H. :
  • mjd232
    2 years ago

Following.

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : unfortunately, i am only now seeing your response and my husband has already sanded and stained the slates for the 2nd time…. here is one slate side-to-side to the white oak piece (stained special walnut) that’s inside of my foyer. The slates match the orher woods in my other home projects but are much different in color than the walnut dining room cabinet.

I would re-do the slates/stain simply to take your advice about mixing the stains but I have already stained all of the other spaces in my home special walnut….so, im not sure that it makes sense to change this one space to spiced walnut but i’d to hear your thoughts…. also, i‘m adding pics other spaces in my home here for you to understand the other wood projects and how color shows up in my home.🙃

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

They are slats, not slates! lol everytime I read your reply I think of slate tiles or something!

Ok, the walnut looks fine. they don't have to match exactly as long as they're in the same tonal range. built in wood shelves, also nice.

love the black/wood piece w/the mirror. you and I seem to like the same things.

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@justcallmepool, what kind of stone do you imagine? previously, @Beth H. : recommended honed soapstone or black granite? or a piece of quartz?

Lighter quartz on black cabinet (graciously provided by @Beth H. :)

Black soapstone

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

did you want to do a stone somewhere? on the cabs?

I like the idea, but see how it looks when it's completed

• mjd232
    2 years ago

Following.

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. :yes to the stone on the cabinets! i’ll post pics after i put the wood up. i loved your idea— all of them! and, you saying that we have simular taste is the best compliment that i’ve received in the past year! thank you!!!

• hbeing
    2 years ago

go with colors you like rather than "trends"

rfharmon thanked hbeing
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@ the tender age of 39 and @39 weeks pregnant, I installed wood slats (thanks for the correction @Beth H. :, lol) and I couldn't be prouder of myself! lol.

Here are pics of both cabinets next to the 1” american walnut satined (twice) plywood slats:

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Congrats!) you did a fantastic job girl! I think I like it w/the wood cab. (if you went all the way across, the black could work)

That art is killing me though! had to throw in something else

is that a fake tree? don't like it. lol. not being rude, but I don't think it works.

Try something like this

these olive trees are all the range. this one is fake,,,maybe,,,

but I think that plant is better suited to natural, boho. for yours, I like the snake plant in a raised container like shown. but taller. I have tons of this stuff. I thrown them away because they grow like crazy in my yard

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @Beth H. : thanks for all of your feedback! i love the wood slats! Now that they’re up, I realize that my house was a total snoozefest without them and that black accent wall!

I don‘t think that I can get away with anymore slates on that wall b/c of those stained class windows in my entry. I don’t the focal points to fight each other, Right? If not, PLEASE tell me if you think more slats would be better!

The olive tree is fake but i‘m not opposed to buying a real one… even fake trees in 2022 cost $200 so I should get the best option for the space…. Here’s a real plant in my home that I’m showing here just for size.

You previously said that you like a olive tree… maybe, you just like real olive trees?

Also, bringing our inspiration pics back to mind in case they change your opinion about cabinet color.

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here’s my failed attempt to show you all the entire space without any baby gear or construction remnants.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

would you leave the cabs like that or push together?

did you want to slat the whole wall or stop where you're at? I like either choice. totally up to you.

If you leave as is, I do prefer the wood cabinet only because the black disappears against the black wall. and if you do the black w/some type of stone top, I'm wondering if it's going to be too much. but maybe not. But I gottat tell you, that art is ruining it for me! the colors just fight the look.

what about this color art w/a fiddle leaf about this size?

The snake plant needs to be taller. (I don't think the olive tree is the best choice. fiddle leaf maybe) You need a larger plant, something in a planter that sits up more.

something this size? I like the wood container too

was trying to find some other examples. maybe you could do a little wood table and stage like this?

or, you could attach some smaller plants directly to the slats

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : I’m LOL @ your disdain for my husband’s art. It makes me so happy since he bought it on a date with his ex-girlfriend. 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Now, I have the ammo needed to finally get rid of it! ✌🏽

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

lmao. The art itself is fine. I just don't like it in that particular spot!

I think you must have more intense colors. that art is too drab for this particular spot.

I like a fiddle leaf about this height. (at least halfway up)

I love your room! I honestly can't decide on the wood or the black!

maybe the wood since you have so many other black elements?

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Can the determining factor be the quartz/granite on top because I can‘t shake that idea…. I love how it increase the functionality and appeal.

is there a world where you see quartz/ granite on top of the wood cabinet or is that only an option for the black cabinet?

the art is drab @Beth H. :! 😂🤣😂

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

ya know, I think the top can work. it sounds like you want the black.

maybe w/a marble top? arabescato?

Black Calacatta quartz?

or, did you know there is a white soapstone? I took this pic at one of my stone places. isn't this amazing?

they have a 'black marble' peel and stick countertop product! doesn't look too bad

https://www.amazon.com/Countertops-Wallpaper-Removable-Furniture-Renovation/dp/B08YY8143R?th=1

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : there will be 3 cabinets all pushed together, like this:

Unless YOU really want more slats, im done with them for this space, as pictured.

Will go to the local nursery for a large fiddle plant and will be back shortly, lol lol.

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

OH no, @Beth H. : I’m only now seeing your message and we posted our posts earlier at the same exact time so there was some overlap in the question that I asked and the answers that you already provided. Now that I see the wood slats, I think that the walnut cabinets are the way to go BUUUTTT it was hard shift b/c I feel like I had been fighting the black cabinets this whole time and finally saw thier value once the wall was painted black.

Soooo… walnut cabinets?

• MJD232
    2 years ago

Not a pro but are two cabinets enough and if yes perhaps the black with a top. It just seems that three of the wood cabinets are going to make a pretty strong statement which could distract from the wood slats and the simplicity of the wall. Another alternative is the three black cabinets with a wood top similar to what you have used in your other vignettes. Agree that the art could be improved...maybe some colors to compliment the stained glass. Love your home and your decorating!

rfharmon thanked MJD232
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

rf, I was looking at World Market and saw a few side tables that might work in front of the slats w/your potted plant (if you didn't want to use a tree)

(I actually have one very similar to this)

but I kind of like this one too. if you get the black cab and top it w/a white stone, this might be nice somewhere close by? (and in a pinch, you could always spray the base black)

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : I went all in on the walnut cabinets! My husband is completing as we speak. The final determination was that no one liked the black option in my decoration support group on facebook.

I happened to have the same exact plant stand that you recommended already in my living room. I also had a fake fiddle tree in my kid’s nursery. Adding visuals here before going to the plant nursery to buy an oversized snake plant and possible replacement fiddle tree, lol. Adding here for your buy-in.

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : it’s a tad creepy that I already own derivatives of everything that you recommended and none of them were currently in good use, lol.

Do you have cameras insides of my house or are we kindred spirits? 🤣

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@MJD232, I have always envisioned 3 cabinets in this space (mainly for storage purposes and for luxurious restoration hardware effect) but I’d love to hear your thoughts.

2 and 3 cabinets pictured here:

if your worried about space around the cabinets, there will be a 4.5ft walkway between the dining table and island.

there will be 5ft walkway between the dining table and the wood cabinets.

• MJD232
    2 years ago

Good morning! Is the width from the sconce to the wall on the left the same as the width from the sconce to the slats on the right? Thanks.

• Ac Lb
    2 years ago

Where did you find the leather sectional?

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@MJD232 good question, there are 23 angled inches from the edge of scones to the edge of the cabinets on both sides. Would you like me to also measure ride over run?

After the cabinet, there are 5-inches on the left side near the window and 4.5 inches on the right side near the slats.

I would love to hear your thoughts on these measurements, thanks.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I guess we are! lol

I like the walnut and how it looks. except for that one glaring thing! Send husband away and work on that! (I get the significance of the work, if only the colors were different!!)

my leopard photograph:
    (needs to be a bit wider though)

Here's the actual shot. I fell in love w/the colors when I saw this in his gallery. I have 4 prints of his work- Thomas Mangelsen.

a dark frame would look fab against the black.

My Mark King would look gorgeous there too. (yes, I like big cats!)

I really like this one too. the plants could go further out

Here, I tried a bunch of diff colors and abstracts in case you don't like animals.

you've done a wonderful job.

• MJD232
    2 years ago

Thanks for confirming the measurements. Perhaps it is just the angle at which the pictures were taken that made it look like it was wider on the left. IMO the three pieces together look more like a set versus only the two. I am actually an artist but my tastes are very similar to yours and Beth's so that's why I am enjoying this discussion so much.

Having said that I kind of feel that art should be the next step as it may influence some of your other decisions. You have indicated that the current picture is not your taste but can you provide a better idea of your preferred style. Do you like bright abstracts or do you prefer more stylized images? Traditional or contemporary? Do you prefer wrapped canvasses or something with a frame? Should the orientation be landscape, portrait or even square? All of these could be taped out on the wall (or with paper cut to size) to give a better feel of shape and size. By any chance do you have something fairly big that you could "borrow" from another area of your home just to try something different?

Once the art is in place you may only want minimum decor on the cabinets to maintain the simplicity of the aesthetic which you seem to have going in the other areas of your home. Hope this helps and looking forward to your progress.

• MJD232
    2 years ago

Like #9 suggested by Beth. Also something like this might be an option since you have a young family and it could complement the stained glass at the front entrance.

rfharmon thanked MJD232
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

That’s a good point MJD. I forgot about those panels.
    The only thing is, the picture has to be a little wider, not taller.

• MJD232
    2 years ago

Do you have any thoughts on type of art preferred or do you want us to make suggestions?

rfharmon thanked MJD232
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@MJD232, please forgive me. I’m 39 weeks pregnant so I’m moving at the pace of snails nowadays.

I’m not sure what direction to go for art. I would love your suggestions.

Per your request, here is another piece that I have in my home— something different that I made myself 9 years ago, using black acrylic paint on white canvas,

and framed.

@Beth H. :, I know that I need a larger snake plant but do you like the direction that the plants are heading?

• MJD232
    2 years ago

Good morning! IMO you are moving very quickly...good work! I like the art...think it is the right size and the image is something that can also be appreciated from further back as well. The only suggestion is that it needs to be lowered by about 6" and then maybe you can take another photo similar to the one below to show everything in perspective. Exciting!!

rfharmon thanked MJD232
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My sofa is from article but they also sell it as a sectional. Thanks to covid, the prices are much higher than when i bought. https://www.article.com/search?q=sven

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@MJD232 I’m shocked that you like this piece here. I’m honored! But, I thought you and @Beth H. : were aiming for abstract, expensive, and colorful? Saving money works for me, tho! Lol.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

expensive? lol. who said expensive?

heck, make your own canvas w/acrylic paint. was some tutorials on that pour method. I've done a few.

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. :your taste is simply exquisite!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

yours is darn good yourself! this is lovely (can't wait until all your decor items are in and done!)

btw, your art is hung too high. drop it to 4-6" above the console. and yes, if you want black and white, it could work!!

came across similar consoles in another photo

• everdebz
    2 years ago

You have wonderful help. But I am curious if the stained glass is in your house? wow. Several pieces of art. The pink in an abstract posted above was in the glass, and deep pink is interesting.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

everdebz, good point.

here are her windows

rh, what about something w/the pink and black? (this one is 36x36, 260.00 bucks)

or, bring in a little turqoise to go w/the windows a bit better. I like this one. $400

if you like the fluid art or pour art, you could try making one like this

• shwshw
    2 years ago

Add a couple of colors to your black and white painting. That one is great. And someday you will find something else that you just love.

• MJD232
    2 years ago

If you are going for color I agree with the one on the left from Beth. However, I still think the black and white is a good option with each one taking you in a different direction. When I look at the photos from further back, I see lots of texture in the pillows on the leather sofa and it seems the natural vibe in the living room currently is complemented better with the black and white. With this direction the nod to the stained glass could perhaps be introduced with some amber and teal accessories but maybe not the pink. If it was me I would complete the vignette with the black and white, the plant arrangement, etc. and live with it for a while. Hope this makes sense and helps.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I notice your own meaningful art, and a bit of gold of tree - might this clay/rose repeat the colors?

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/linden-street-nubby-stripe-square-throw-pillow/ppr5008008567

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hey friends, long time no words. Unfortunatley, my baby (turned 1 on 2/14/23 :-) briefly sucked all of creative inspiration out of me, when he filled me up with love. HAHA but now I need to babyproof my house and I would love to know your opinions about the following:

1. rug replacement (9'x12')

2. coffee table replacement (53" x 33")

3. yellow art section for over the stairs (new the stained glassed windows)

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

This is where I'm considering placing the basquiat inspired art... I'm still looking for a dining room piece of art so the Black and white art that I created is sadly still above the dining table.