SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rossannearii

Sprawling Lady of Shallott, Zone 9a

So my LOS was planted in late February as an own-root bareroot. Already she is taller than me in her pot. The "bigger in Texas" cliche. But she is also now sprawling in a very Houstonian manner.

She must be about 4.5 feet tall AND as wide with that octopus arm. That cane was facing east; I don't know if that might have had anything to do with it leaping out like that. The side that has been facing west is still fairly upright. I'm worried that the sprawling arm is going to throw the plant off-balance or something. The DA catalog says not to prune the first year, but also says that in places like Texas summer pruning might be necessary, as they like to climb in this kind of climate. So do I prune or not? Is this going to mess up my plant either way?

In addition, she seems to be putting out flowers too fast this round. Most of her lateral growth is fairly new, from after an April flush of 5 okay-sized blooms. She has many more buds now, but 3 of them appear to have opened much too early and are small, though not quite bull-nosed. And they're much more pink than the first flush:

LOS is my tallest plant, but the one with the smallest leaves. I don't know if she has a nutrient deficiency, or hasn't been getting enough water in this heat even though I deep-water just about every day, or something else. She definitely needs more potting mix. I've been giving her bloodmeal, fish emulsion, and other stuff (that she doesn't like as much as the first two) in small doses. What else should I do to make sure she's happy? Or is this all perfectly fine for this cultivar?

Comments (7)