SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandyslopes

Who am I? ID help, please.

So many of my plant tags are messed up or completely missing.
This is a small to med. size, blue. Probably a common one from 10 or more years ago.

I have three huge notebooks (yes, old-fashioned notebooks) full of names and info for each hosta, so I can go through them page by page until I find it. ....But, help, anyone?

Comments (19)

• Maria 4a zone St.Peterburg,Russia
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I also have old fashioned notebooks with the names, which I read with pleasure.At the first sight- Blue Arrow?

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked Maria 4a zone St.Peterburg,Russia
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 years ago

what about elvis lives .. ken

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • dhaven
    6 years ago

Could you post a side shot? Blue Arrow is an upright hosta, as is Salute, which is another possibility. Seeing the plant habit might help narrow the choices. Also, something that shows the size is always good. Pop can, pencil, dollar bill all work, lots of other options as well.

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked dhaven
  • bkay2000
    6 years ago

It might also be easier to identify later in the season when it's fully leafed out.

bkay

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked bkay2000
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the guesses. That's what I'm hoping for that someone will
    recognize it. Unfortunately, none of those names sounds familiar. If
    no one hits on it, (still accepting guesses!) I'll wait a few weeks and
    try to take a better shot with something for scale and get in a side
    shot, too. I've already given some hostas new labels, but this one
    has me stumped.

Maria, I know what you mean, I also enjoyed
    my paper notebooks, writing about each hosta, (bulbs, perennials,
    vegetables, and shrubs) so I resisted modernizing my records. But now I
    have 3 notebooks for hostas plus 9 others, all large size notebooks
    packed full of 22 years worth of notes and pictures. It's a lot to deal
    with.
    I'll never give up my notebooks while I have these
    gardens, but I need to figure out some changes to make record keeping
    efficient and fun again.

• StevePA6a
    6 years ago

Blue Wedgwood a possibility?

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked StevePA6a
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It does look similar to Blue Wedgwood, but I don't have that one. So I checked out the HL /My Hostas looking for its relatives. None of the BW progeny ring a bell, either.

• gardencool
    6 years ago

"I'll never give up my notebooks " What good are they if, as you say you have this hosta ID written down somewhere, you just don't know where? So you have the time to write a journal (hard part) but not the time to read the journal (fun part)!

I just keep the tags and and draw a map. That kind of worked early on but as I get more and more hostas I'm finding I am not very good at scale drawing; and then I might forget to put a new one on the map; and then some don't come with tags. I do enjoy going through the tags every once in a while - apparently I have a Grand Tiara from 2015 somewhere!

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked gardencool
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Woohoo! I found it near the end of the first notebook.
    .......FLEMISH SKY. I forgot I had that one. Thanks for the ID
    guesses. It's always fun to try.

gardencool, when I say I
    won't give them up, I mean I'll keep what I have, but I want to simplify
    how I keep track of things from now on. I'm regretting that I didn't
    change over to making a file on my computer sooner. So now I have too
    much written info to give up the notebooks, but too much to transfer to a
    file on my laptop at this point. ...Yes, I know, a first world
    problem. :-))

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I want to add that Flemish Sky is probably a Salute hybrid (from HL/mh) so dhaven came close.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    6 years ago

Arctic Blast?

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked josephines167 z5 ON Canada
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, it is Flemish Sky! I finally found it in my notes. It's a nice one. Your's too! I see it every year, but with the missing tag I lost track of which one it was.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    6 years ago

Yay! I love my FS - lovely colour changes early on.

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked josephines167 z5 ON Canada
  • Karin Black Cat
    6 years ago

sandyslopes, I'd love to have such a collection of notebooks! Maybe I should start to transcript my computer based notes next winter. I always worry that they might get lost...I do not have maps as most are in pots and I often carry them around. This year cats and birds had fun taking out the tags and I needed a few weeks until everything was named again :-)

Flemish Sky is a wonderful hosta, took this picture yesterday, it's finally getting big :-)

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked Karin Black Cat
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Karin, nice Flemish Sky. You have such a big and growing collection, I know you want to keep good track of them. That's funny that cats and birds mess with the tags. Mine are more casualties of weather and getting stepped on and kicked around by people, deer, and who knows what else goes on out there! ....I like writing so was stubborn to change over, and like you said, I worry it all could be lost from some mishap on the computer or losing a thumb drive. I guess there's always something that we "plant obsessed" have to deal with.

• Karin Black Cat
    5 years ago

sandy, the blackbirds are the culprits in most cases. They always have to pick for something. They watch me dig up something and the moment I'm gone they come for worms or insects. They even inspect the pots:-) The cats do it more while fighting in spring, running them over...

Sometimes I wonder what I would do without that garden...would be a boring live, I'm sure:-)

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked Karin Black Cat
  • ninamarie
    5 years ago

I don't know if this helps, but I keep track of my hostas with an excel spread sheet. Each garden is given a name and plants are alphabetic and searchable by name and by location.

I include source and date of planting in the list and there is a comments section. The list is printed off in spring and I bring it with me whenever I work on a hosta garden to make a list of changes and additions.

Many a time in spring this list has helped me straighten out just which hosta is planted where.

sandyslopes z6 n. UT thanked ninamarie
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks ninamarie, I'm open to suggestions. When I have more time I would like to transfer some basic info like you bring up so it's more convenient to find it when I need it. I have my gardens divided into sections to help me follow a work schedule for them, so a list of hostas for each area would narrow it down when I lose a name. I admit spreadsheets make my eyes glaze over, but if it was my own then it should make more sense... at least I'd hope so.