SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
splaker

picea omorika vs abies concolor

splaker
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have to make a decision between these two species. I am in this for the long run - we plan to stay in this home for many, many years and so therefore, whatever we plant we have a long term view in mind. I love concolors. We have never planted one though. In our region, they've become more common over the past 15 years... but I cant recall seeing any mature ones.. my concern is that I've come across some comments (online) that they tend to thin out some and will become a bit ratty. Other info states they do quite well here in eastern north america. Out climate is pretty much the same as Detroit and buffalo except we are not in a snow-belt. The specific concolor I am interested in is the Blue Cloak. It seems to be a great alternative to the ubiquitous blue spruce, which fair very poorly here after 20 years.. The alternative to the Blue cloak concolor is a picea omorika Bruns. I can get either. Everything I've read on the picea omorika states they are really tough, trouble-free trees, and attractive. I don't see them much around here though. The Bruns apparently has the blueish coloration that I am seeking.

The question is, will the concolor begin to thin in 15 to 20+ years in my climate or is this applicable to only some concolor? Will the picea omorika remain full and attractive? I would love to hear from those with experience growing both. I realize the blue cloak is a relatively recent cultivar which might be difficult to fairly judge at this point..

The site of the planting is full sun, clayish, neutral soil, but it never gets waterlogged so drain fairly well..

thoughts? thanks!

Comments (13)