SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wisconsitom

Differing needs of Abies and Picea

wisconsitom
16 years ago

I mentioned on here somewhere that , after three consecutive extra hot, dry years, many Picea are doing poorly. They look to me to be the conifer genus least able to cope with these conditions. Meanwhile, Abies concolor and even Abies balsamea seem rather unscathed. Now, I'm a huge fan of concolor fir. But these recent observations make me even more convinced that they're a good tree for around here. I sure wish more folks knew about them. A little on the slow-growing side, but what they lack in speed they make up for with seeming unending tolerance and longevity.

BTW, had the pleasure last winter of examining a concolors upper crown at close range. It is right adjacent to a street tree I was pruning with an aerial truck. This particular fir had its top broken out in a storm some years earlier, at about the fifty foot mark. There are now a profusion of new shoots growing in two widely seperated clusters either side of the resultant v-crotch. In each cluster, there is one leader which looks set to dominate, but what surprised me was the abundance of vertical shoots, perhaps a hundred on each side! And despite the ragged, jagged wound that resulted from the wind damage, the tree appears absolutely determined to go on growing.

+oM

Comments (11)