SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kim_donnelly93

need shower advice: door, controls, drain, heads, curbs

Kim Donnelly
5 years ago

Husband and I are remodeling our small (110"x60" stud to stud) 2nd floor master bath. We're replacing a tub with a shower (I know, along with everyone else in creation). I've attached a picture. Position of toilet and door are pretty fixed although we may configure the door to swing out because we're planning a Neorest 700H and that's a relatively long toilet. Leaning toward a heated floor. A 36" vanity is probably too tight, so looking at something just under that. Was looking at a Ronbow Bella or Rebecca but not final. Planning a long medicine cabinet spanning sink and toilet. Shower will be about 40" wide.

Thinking of a handheld wand on a bar, a regular multi-flow shower head and a rainforest head. Not big on jets. Don't need a fixed bench. I'm thinking right now of frameless glass for the shower with a door that can swing in and out toward the blank wall side of the room. Does this seem ok or do I need sliders?

I'd like to be able to turn on shower and adjust temperature before getting wet. What type of controls and positioning do you recommend? I'm tempted by the Kohler DTV+ because we are a HomeKit household and Kohler Konnect plans support in the near future. Should I plan on two controls? I'm worried that if I position a control too close to the door it won't be convenient to adjust the flow during showering. Also - any head recommendations to go with the control recommendations?

We're planning for curbless with a linear drain against the wall. My local tile shop/Schluter supplier believes it's doable but I need to arrange a meeting of the minds between our GC and these tile folks. Clearly need lots of planning/engineering together for that to work but does anyone see any immediate red flags that mean I should abandon curbless from the start?

Thanks so much in advance, Kim

Comments (20)