SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyamity

Cast Iron Drain - Advice Needed Please

ladyamity
16 years ago

Hello,

I am normally on the Decorating Forum and the last month or so I've been on the Bathroom Forum.

Now I've come to a part in our DIY Bathroom-Remodel-From-Hell that I feel a plumber's advice is more appropiate.

I won't bore you with the Hell part of this adventure --- you can probably find my woe-is-me tales on the Bathroom Forum if you are curious. *smile*

But this no longer involves pretty tile, grout or cement board so here I am.

After having trouble getting someone to actually keep their appointment to come to the house to evaluate our situation I had someone in this morning.

One look and he said in his broken English:

"We don't deal with Cast Iron Drains...Nooooo! Too much liability!

You replace Drain and we'll come back and make you nice shower pan."

He also said we needed to find out what the capped drain was for.

Our neighbors have their washer out their back door, on a small cement slab so I'm going to assume since our bathroom is where the old back door used to be, the capped drain was for the washer?

Any input as to why we need to know what it's for?

To say this bathroom was built on a Friday by people who had never nailed two pieces of wood together is an understatement.

For pictures of the shoddy construction, I've given a link below. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

*sorry--- short emotional vent got in the way*

The strainer was glued on top of the pipe you see in the pics.

The so-called weep holes? They are packed under that mound of cement.

Now, how do we (me and hubby) go about removing this pipe without damaging anything else under our cement slab home?

Is there anything we can do to remove the top of the pipe and add a PVC extension to it to create a whole new drain?

Any advice will be soooo appreciated!

Amity

Cast Iron Drain. Strainer was glued to the top.

Unearthed another drain? when we removed shower curb.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1970 Bathroom DIY Remodel Pics

Comments (7)

• fixizin
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You're in So-Cal, and it sounds like your budget is driving you towards--what's the PC phrase--UNdocumented workers? =:O I'm in So-Fla, where EVERYTHING is built on concrete slab. (Figured they wouldn't allow that in earthquake country, but what do I know...) I've had several showers rebuilt on cast iron drains, NO PROBLEM-O.

There's various remedies if the top end is "rough", but yours doesn't look bad at all. Sounds like you're dealing with SCARED AMATEURS. You might have to buck-up and call a REAL plumber, or locate an excellent online pictorial I once saw on how to build your own shower pan. (OTOH, it's scary making mistakes in concrete, lol.)

RE: Shower CURB--brings back memories... curb built up of now-rotted wood covered with cement board and tile, all relying, FOOLISHLY, on the water-tight integrity of narrow-line GROUT, lol.

Anyway, the way to build the NEW curb is with CONCRETE. Nothing exotic or high PSI, just a bag of Sakrete sand mix. Form up your curb so that when poured, that whole edge of the new shower pan is underneath and LOCKED INTO the concrete! SHAZAAM! Water-tight for life! Take away the wood forms and tile right on the concrete! Now when the grout eventually leaks--and it will--no worries... water is contained in your MONOLITHIC concrete shower pan!

(Come to think of it, you might want to do ALL FOUR SIDES of the shower stall/pan like that, since you have so much rotted wood anyway, and set the new studs atop the wraparound "curb"... hmmm... )

RE: Capped drain--I doubt that was the WM "french" drain, as they usually just pass through the wall the WM is up against (check w/ the neighbors who still have it). That cap is pretty far from the walls... I'm thinking previous shower or toilet?... unless the walls have been moved and slab extended?

Anyway, the cap has a big slot in it to facilitate unscrewing. Then you can snake around, or call someone with a high-tech "sewer-cam". Or just leave well enough alone... remember what always happens to Indiana Jones when opening up ancient portals, LOL!

Your profile page makes "budget" redeco'ing sound fun, and I know the thrill of scoring a "deal" on tile and drywall work... but cutting corners on PLUMBING and ELECTRICAL can bring injury, pricey property damage, and general woe.

PS: Your electrical work is... close to the shower... hopefully a pro will weigh in on its code-worthiness.

GOOD LUCK... I don't think there's anything wrong with your cast iron drains... above grade anyways.

• ladyamity
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh my Gosh, Fixizin!

My sincerest apologies for not coming back to the Plumber Forum a day or two after I posted. I checked for responses later in the day and saw that this forum is much slower than the Bathroom forum and also saw only one or two people responding so I went and reposted my post on the Bathroom Forum.
    Never thought to recheck here-- I'm so sorry!

Your response made me smile from ear to ear on top of being so helpful!

Funny you mentioned those workers because after the man left, the man that wouldn't touch my cast iron drain, I shouted to anyone who would listen "I'm about ready to hire one of the guys waiting around for odd jobs work in the Home Depot parking lot! "

Long story short, the County Registrar's office is less that two miles from my home. Next to it is the Community Development Department.
    Since I had to make a visit to the Registrar's office I walked over to the Community Development Offices to personally explain our situation and ask who to call to come over and survey/diagnose the mold/mildew issue and then to install a shower pan.

The man that came was the second name on the list.

But I tell ya, after the no-shows after setting up appointments, the people who won't deal with mold, the people that won't deal with cast iron and the people that don't even return my call because it's not a complete gut and bathroom remodel, I've seriously considered a couple times about hiring one of them thar 'UNdocumenteds".
    Nah, I won't. It's just the total frustration talking.

I did find out from a neighbor down the street, this bathroom was built in 1973.
    The way the whole addition was put together, the water damage and unbelievable stench we found in our closet after removing the baseboards in there from the water in the shower leaking/wicking up that shared wall, I'm thinking this shower has been leaking from the get-go.

For all the years we've been in our home we've learned a lot, I mean, a Lot about repairs.
    We've done it all ourselves with the exceptions of the new roof, copper pipe throughout the main part of the house and the new electrical panel (with dedicated for microwave, fridge, etc.) put on the side of the home that is accessible to the meter reader.

We even installed our own windows and added a slab out the back door so that we didn't have to walk in mud to get to the garage.
    All tile, drywall, cabinet frames, room enhancements of all kinds, we learned and did (some real Laurel and Hardy moments while learning, that's for sure! lol) ourselves.

Before starting the bathroom gut I had read nights for at least 3 months, hours and hours of reading, research, buying plumbing and tile books and honestly felt when it came to the new, enlarged shower, we'd have noooo problem tackling it ourselves.

All was going rather well and for the most part, very few surprises. Little burps were handled by asking on the bathroom forum and we were on our way to a new bathroom.

Standing there side by side, removing the tile in the shower and as the tiles literally crumbled off, I look at husband, he looked at me, dead silence and his comment...
    "Houston, we have a problem".

Your response was light-hearted, a joy to read and at the same time, very informative! And once again I've got courage, I feel we can continue with the bathroom ourselves.
    I will send your response right now to my husband's email at work.
    Bet he'll have some questions for ya.

Thank you, thank you so very much!
    Amity