SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbiegomoney

Trying to decide if I should use clear glass in my new front door.....

debbiegomoney
5 years ago

I am trying to decide whether or not to use clear glass in my new front door. It opens into a foyer and you can see through the foyer, through the empty part of my family room and out through the sliding door onto the deck. I don't think I will need to worry about the privacy since you can't see into any other room from the door. My concern is resale. Would you be less tempted to purchase a house if it didn't have privacy glass in the front door? Thanks for your hep!!!!!!!

Comments (41)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Are you planning to sell soon? If not, I'd say do what makes you happy now, and plan to replace the door if a realtor advises when it's time to list.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have had houses that had full glass door fronts and it was a non issue as a buyer. I liked how it brought in more light and gave me beautiful views. But then again, I was far from the street and didn't have to worry about anyone seeing me streaking through the house.. Is this the best option for a door style for your house? If not sure, post a picture of your house and we can offer our thoughts.

• Related Discussions

I need help right away! Do I match the color of my new front door

Q

Comments (4)
    I had a faux finish on the interior of my door and hated it. Made the interior of the entrance dark and drab. What a difference a paint of coat made on it. I have all stained wood and hardwood. I repainted the interior of my front door just one shade lighter than the walls.
    ...See More

Should I paint my front door?

Q

Comments (3)
    i had a south facing stained wooden front door at a previous house of ours and i swore i would never have another south facing stained front door, even tho i love the way they look!!! i tried the hardiest and best of all finishes, including marine, and none of it could hold up very long to the sun/elements. and as pretty as a beautifully stained wood door is, a stained door in need of maintainance is equally unattractive!!
    ...See More

Trying to decide if I should move this wall

Q

Comments (6)
    I added a floor plan. Currently one sofa is floated, but there isn't enough room to float the second without interfering with the walkway. The hallway goes to the kitchen also, but there are usually coats and backpacks and shoes, so it isn't often used as a route to the kitchen. We discussed closing off the end of the hallway and adding a coat/backpack nook to catch things as people come in from the garage. The 4th wall behind the tv has to stay, since it carries ductwork.
    ...See More

What color should I paint my front door?

Q

Comments (18)
    Pool, I thought I’d love the navy, not sure why I don’t! I like it in Deco’s example. Maybe it’s just the mock-up — the lighting, door style, etc. Mock-ups can help somewhat, but of course aren’t exact. You made a lot of good points. Different colors really influence the personality of the house in different ways. My fav is the California Chamois, or something like it. It looks fantastic with the stoop and brings life to the house without being garish. I don’t love every color I posted, but just wanted to show a variety. I think shutters (especially white) would look awful on this house because the windows are different sizes and too close together for them to look right. Kathleen, if you decide on white for the door, you could bring in color with pots. Such a charming house. :) I hope you don’t paint the bricks. They bring personality and character. White brick would stain easily, peel, etc.
    ...See More
  • K Laurence
    5 years ago

I modify/ remodel my house to suit my taste & needs , not for some imaginary buyer in the future, unless I was planning to sell soon, in that case I wouldn’t do anything at all. A front door certainly isn’t a a deal breaker in real estate....

• PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    5 years ago

I am very fond of the glass being clear. I hate to be repetitious but I always say its about personal choices.

J Design Group - Miami Interior Designers
    225 Malaga Ave
    Coral Gables, FL 33134
    Ph: 305-444-4611
    https://www.JDesignGroup.com

• debbiegomoney
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I added a photo of the front of my house. You can't see inside from the street because we have a fairly steep driveway. Also added a picture from the open front door. Sorry it's kind of dark, but it's very sunny outside! Our current door is 40+ years old and is failing. And we ARE probably going to be selling in the next couple of years to down-size. Thanks for everyone's input! I want to get the door right and love the clear glass, but don't want to turn off buyers down the road.

• m_gabriel
    5 years ago
    I wish I had selected a front door with more clear glass. We have clear glass sidelights and I love the look of more glass in the door itself. Gt talked out of it and I kick myself every time I see someone else's house with a pretty door.
    debbiegomoney thanked m_gabriel
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago

We had glass paned doors at our old house and will at the new build too. Only because there wasn't a non glass option. I don't know what your home layout was or lifestyle is but these are the reasons I didn't like mine. Our stairs came down into the foyer so if I wanted to come down stairs in the morning for coffee or such I couldnt come down in my sleeping attire. I felt like anyone could just look in and if the timing was right catch a glimpse. Second and by far the biggest one was when people came to the door they would often peek in if there wasn't an immediate response to the doorbell being answered. On that same note there was really no way not to answer the door if people came to it. Although they couldn't see us sitting in the great room they could see TV and reflection of TV and know someone was home. call me anti social but there are times that I don't want to be seen or interact with people.

• Kate
    5 years ago

I would never have glass in my front door for the same reasons given by pink_peony above.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I selected rainglass for our door and considered reeled glass. I don't like clear glass front doors unless the floor plan blocks the view through the house. We have a lot of walkers in my neighborhood and I would have to pass by the door to reach the kitchen.

debbiegomoney thanked tqtqtbw
  • debbiegomoney
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@tqtqtbw, Are you happy with the rain glass? It's one of the alternatives I am considering.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I'm very happy with it. We have had it about nine years. We get the light without feeling like we are on display.

debbiegomoney thanked tqtqtbw
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

I have full rain glass in my front door as well. I replaced a Victorian style leaded glass insert that wasn't right for my house and really like it. Reeded glass is another nice alternative.

• yvonnecmartin
    5 years ago

I agree with Pink Peony. I like to be able to look through the peep hole and pretend that we are not home if it is someone ringing the bell with whom we do not wish to speak.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Who comes to the front door besides UPS , Fed X , possibly the mailman, and dinner party guests? Have the glass: ) and the light that comes with it. The Fuller Brush man died. For you "younguns" below

https://americacomesalive.com/2016/01/15/the-fuller-brush-man/

• shirlpp
    5 years ago

Jehovah's Witnesses - come to the door and they will ring the bell a few times.....thus, they will be peeking in.

Trick or Treaters come to the door - We were told 'I see you', and we only have glass sidelights.

• User
    5 years ago

I’m not a fan of clear glass. I want to be able to walk around in my pj’s or however - without worrying if someone is standing at my door at that particular moment in time. Maybe it’s just me, because so far I’ve never heard any laughing. :).

But, it wouldn’t stop me from buying a house with one. I say go for it if it’s what u want.

• Jeff Jones
    5 years ago
    We like the rain glass for light and privacy
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

How about a door with glass on the top only? This one has a sheer shirred curtain on the inside for privacy.

Debra Campbell Design · More Info

The glass on this one is high up enough that privacy wouldn't be a concern:

Front Porch Bliss · More Info

This door has obscure glass:

Cleeves House · More Info

• saintpetefl
    5 years ago

We had a mix of clear and textured glass panels at our old house. I do miss the light it brought in and am considering replacing our current doors with frosted glass. I certainly do not want to do clear glass panels again because we have had some unprofessional-looking salespeople come up to the house to ring the doorbell at the old house and we would keep away from the door to give the appearance that no one was home. We were unsuccessful a few times and they would linger and try to stare inside. Not saying that these individuals were criminals canvassing the neighborhood, but clear glass gives you less protection.

• tgb1
    5 years ago

Cable and electrical companies are always soliciting in my neighborhood, in addition to security companies and the Jehovah's Witnesses. And then at election time there's a slew of peeps ringing the bell to spread awareness about their candidate, and let's not forget the environmental do-gooders.

I would never have clear glass....

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

Can you post a photo of the door you are considering? Then we can see how much glass you are talking about and if the style works with the house.

• H B
    5 years ago

If you decide clear glass leaves you too exposed, you can modify it with window films / decals. I've been wrestling with this on our planned build, wanting the light but being an introvert who may want to avoid interaction. I'm thinking it's easier to add a frosted / reeded / patterned window film to clear glass, than get more light through a frosted glass panel. But I haven't tried it, so I'd love to hear back from someone who has. I've only ever tried the one-way-mirror film on a window with a birdfeeder on the outside, and a cat shelf inside to provide kitty-entertainment -- that stuff stuck very well for years, until the windows were replaced.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

"Jehovah's Witnesses - come to the door and they will ring the bell a few times.....thus, they will be peeking in."

I have a b-i-l who solved this by answering the door naked. They never came back.

I deliberately turn my side to the door and look at the garden, driveway, whatever if the door I'm ringing at is all glass. Do other people not do that?

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

nope, they don't.

i think its fine to have a glass paneled door if YOU are not weirded out. the next person can change it to rainglass. sidelights are more difficult to deal with.

i also like to have the option to see who is at the door without answering it. i'll buy anything from the kids in the neighborhood for their school fundraisers but don't want to talk to political candidates or magazine salesmen.

i suppose i could have a sign on my front door "if you are more than this high, go away". but some of the hs athletes are pretty darn tall.

• redsilver
    5 years ago

Yes, get your clear glass(cheaper than rain glass?)if you want to try it. If you want to sell it in a few years and someone listing agent goes ....hmmmmm(the one you don't use)..do go out and get some film. It is awesome. You can buy it that looks like stained glass, is a silvery effect or gray, or many options. Know someone who thought the front door was so special for over a decade..bought the house. Went to restain the front door and found out....the little quad divided light window...was just a mini stain glass film that had been applied by the former owner! LOL.... Cleaned it off and ...put a paper towel over the opening for privacy. The film is an awesome and affordable option if the clear glass doesn't suit you, that way you get the best of both options depending on your needs over time.

• cpaul1
    5 years ago

I personally would not do clear glass. I think a little more privacy is needed regardless of the view from the door for safety reasons as well as for people walking up or walking by.

• shirlpp
    5 years ago

Lindsey - That is Hilarious!

• debbiegomoney
    Original Author
    5 years ago

tedbixby, here is a picture of the idea in my head. Not sure I would go with wood, though.

• debbiegomoney
    Original Author
    5 years ago

lindsey, I love your b-i-l! That's an awesome story!

• btydrvn
    5 years ago
    I can see why you want to change your front door....and tho I am in the “solid door is better” group I do think the two smallish doors are wrong here ....I would get a regular size door with a glass sidelight....the glass can be frosted so you will have light and privacy...or clear with a fancy glass detail that you like....
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Our prior builder door had two clear glass squares just at the top and it was OK for awhile. Not much light, depend on the time day. I was over it when a tall unexpected uninvited guest rang and peeked at the same time. I was sitting on the sofa look at eyes looking back at me. With my rain glass, they can only see motion and I can always creep away.

• Ariane Dimitris
    3 years ago

I am about to buy a hurricane, single, tall door with sidelight. Currently, I have a solid door and a clear glass sidelight. I am also debating about getting all clear glass and then putting a decal on the door so that I can keep the light, keep the see through element of the sidelight, have privacy from the decal and color from the light shining through the colors. Do any of you have photos showing colored decals? I am afraid of it looking cheesy and a solid clear door will give a straight view to my bedroom and bed! But if I go with a privacy glass, I also lose the clear sidelight. Here is a pattern I'm considering for the decal: (it's funny how somany of you mention J.W.s because it's one reason I want to be able to see out so I know not to answer the door. Before Covid-19, they were a serious nuisance.)

• Ariane Dimitris
    3 years ago

This is what I'm considering

• Ariane Dimitris
    3 years ago

With this as the decal

• Ariane Dimitris
    3 years ago

Considering leaving a thin border of the clear glass so I could peek out and get more light, but having the decal over the majority. The decal isn't cheap, has an expensive shipping fee and takes several weeks to arrive, so I need to know I'll like it before I do this. What do you think? My door is 96" by 36" plus the sidelight which would stay clear, and I'm hoping to have the outside of the door red, the inside white, and it's a tall, fake Mediterranean style house. It is currently painted olive green, but I'm hoping to change it to a sort of periwinkle when I repaint in the future.

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

Ariane- this thread is over 2 yrs old. You'd have a better chance of getting more responses by posting your own thread.

• Ariane Dimitris
    3 years ago

I want a member when I first wow it but I'll try. I'm not sure how.

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

I think you are asking how? I'm on a laptop and I go to Get Ideas, click on that and then under Discussions is Design Dilemma's. Click on that. At the top, there is a box that says Start a Discussion and you type in your dilemma in that and then go from there.

• dianebarber17
    3 years ago

Am wondering if the sidelight glass and door glass have to be the same?

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

OLD POST