SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sholt576

Trying to decide if I should move this wall

sholt576
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We will be remodeling our kitchen and since we’ll hopefully changing the floor so that it is uniform throughout the space, it is the right time to decide what to do with this wall.

The dilemma: there is no good place to arrange seating in the living area. One wall is open to the kitchen, one wall has a fireplace and sliding door, one wall is just wall (tv is on this wall) and the wall in the photo opens into the hallway.

We‘ve considered removing the wall in the photo, and making the hallway part of the living space. However, I don’t think this really helps with furniture arrangement. My contractor suggested flipping the wall that goes to the hallway... moving the opening from the right side to the left side. That would create an L-shaped section of wall, suitable for two sofas, and we could put the tv over the fireplace. This means, when you enter through the front door, instead of seeing all the way across the house, you just see the entryway and a wall- but a slight jog to the right will put you into the open living/kitchen space.

So: take out the wall altogether? Or restructure the wall, so there is space for a sofa? Or... wall over the fireplace which we never use and leave the walls alone? (I’ll see if I can upload a photo of the fireplace wall as well.)

Comments (6)