SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
csupdate

Scaled Back Remodel

6 years ago

I had posted awhile back about a remodel plan involving relocating our kitchen to our family room to gain the width necessary for an island; however, we are coming to find that the necessary investment to do this large of a change is just not worth it. We have decided to scale back our remodel but still hopefully resolve the things that we find problematic about our current kitchen. The breakfast nook bay would be removed to make a straight wall. We'd forgo a nook table in favor of widening entry into existing dining room to make it feel more part of the house and hence more likely to be used and then have seating at the peninsula for quick casual eating.

While not ideal, this plan has the kitchen visible from the front door (if I'm being perfectly honest with myself, you can see some of our existing peninsula from the front door anyway). I have tried to minimize this view of the kitchen by deepening the foyer closet (shrinking entrance from foyer down to 42 inches at that end), which allows the range, dishwasher, and sink to fit before the straight shot view from the foyer.

I'm interested to see if anyone has any improvements upon this plan. One particular area that I'd like feedback on is windows on the west wall (range/sink wall). In the proposed plans, it'd be a 36 in upper cabinet straight on when coming from the foyer. I'm wondering if I lose that upper cabinet and do some sort of series of three windows spanning the end of the peninsula, 42 in head on view from foyer, and 36 in sink base area. I'm curious what others think would look best. I'm planning to store everyday dishes in the drawers/cabinet next to the refrigerator (across the aisle from the dishwasher). Primary prep place today is on existing peninsula...we like looking out into family room, so this factored into where we decided to put the dishwasher as we don't want the person standing at the peninsula to have an open dishwasher directly behind them or have to move out of the way for someone to put a dish in.

Existing:

Remodel In Current Location · More Info

Proposed:
The 264 inch dimension on the west wall is from the wall separating the dining room from the kitchen all the way to the molding on the existing sliding glass door (sliding door is to remain in place).

West Wall:

East Wall

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments (2)