SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonitapplebum

Critique my tentative planting plan for front yard in coastal Zone 10

bonitapplebum
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm in Zone 10 so everything is hardy here.
Year Care plan:
Scatter White California Poppy seeds amongst Echinacea and Adder groups this the Fall so that rainfall helps them germinate.
Jan - Cut back Bouteloua grass first week of Jan despite new green stems so that it has a month growth before I cut down next month. Witch hazel and ruby vase will show winter flowers
Feb: to cut back Echinacea and Black Adder. Wait until Feb so that the birds can enjoy winter seeds.
March: Poppies start bloom. Leaves on fig, quince, gooseberry start to come in.
April/May: Poppies blooming, Summer perennials grow
June - August/September: Poppies die, Summer perennials fill out and shine
September - December: Leaves turn color on Fig, Quince, Ruby Vase, perennials dry out in place

Other thoughts:

I back up to state protected rolling hills of grass so I'm trying to go for a lot of movement with grass + perennials to imitate my environment. Everything I have picked is because I saw it in person and talked to my local nursery about it. So if you know of a better plant that can sub out something, I'm happy to hear and research.

I'm not entirely sold on the Baltic Parsley, and am still looking for a white flowering prairie like flower that is 3 feet min mature. Baltic Parley is nice, a Ca coastal native, but it seems more of a woodland fern for under-stories than prairie.

There are also still some gaps as you can see. I was thinking I'll use some Monarda to fill in the gaps in the front, and wait a year or so for the rest, see how its shaping out and then either add more of the existing or something else. I am thinking of putting in a smaller variety of Evergreen Huckleberries in the empty space in the backs as this is a south facing, full sun area and so they should continue to stay small.

Some reasonings for my choices - happy to hear anyone disagree with me too.

1. The Ruby vase ironwood tree is a compact variety tree that doesn't get more than 12 feet wide but is 30 feet high mature (slow growing) so it will help balance my 2 story house despite small yard. I love its 4 season interest.

2. I've kept the color palette simple because its a small area.

3. I like the witch hazel for its winter flowers and that its easy to keep in a compact shape. The other option is the very cool looking Balloon plant aka Hairy Balls.

Comments (7)