SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennpa6b

Critique my border plan, please.

Jenn
7 years ago

Since I have to wait for 811 to mark lines so I can start tilling and composting, I would greatly appreciate feedback from more experienced gardeners on the layout I am planning for my backyard perennial garden. (I know I shouldn't have bought the plants before the bed was ready, but I needed to see if my guesstimated size was right (excuse), and I couldn't resist (truth).

I am in Zone 6b, Pennsylvania. This is the sunniest spot in my yard, and it runs along the property line of my neighbor (you can see their house at the top of the photo. (I asked if I could plant perennials there, even though it's my property, because it faces the front of their house due to the weird designers of our cul-de-sac.)

One specific question I have relates to shade. The left hand side of the bed gets sun all day long. The shade from the trees gradually moves from about the center of the bed until the whole bed is in full sun (this is just after that happens at about 2pm). The right hand side will only get sun until the house blocks it at 7-ish, which I know is pushing it for full sun. Are some of these plants more shade tolerant and should be moved to that side?

Another question is spacing. The whole bed is 25' by about 5'. The spaces behind the shasta daisies and rudbeckia are for alliums and poppies to be planted later. Other than those gaps, does the spacing seem ok?

And then any and all advice you'd like to throw my way. All of my other beds are much smaller and were planted with little planning, so I really appreciate any suggestions!

Comments (6)