SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
a_remodeler

Critique my Kitchen Lighting Plan Please!

A
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We're are completely remodeling a kitchen. Older home with 8' high ceilings.

General lighting will be:

1. A semi-flush mount fixture in the middle of the work space with 2 lightbulbs, each approximately 800 lumens. On it's own dimmer switch (which will probably rarely get dimmed as I see this as the main lighting for the space, so maybe I don't need the dimmer.)

2. A hanging fixture above the kitchen table with 3 lightbulbs, each approximately 800 lumens on it's own dimmer switch.

Task lighting will be:

1. Undercabinet lighting, all controlled by a single dimmer switch. Exact fixtures have not been chosen.

2. A single 4" recessed light above the kitchen sink on it's own dimmer switch. 723 lumens, 90 CRI.

3. Four or Five, 4" Recessed lights placed directly above the edges of the countertops, all controlled by one dimmer switch. Lights are identical to the one over the sink, just on a separate switch. 723 lumens each.

I'm most concerned about the number and placement of the recessed lights and would like to get input. I'm worried that the light in front of the pantry cabinets will cause unsightly shadows on people's faces, and I question whether that one is truly needed. If it's not going to do a good job of lighting up the pantry, then I would't mind getting rid of it. I'm also wondering if I will have enough light in the corner by the lazy susan cabinet. I've read conflicting articles concerning how many lumens are needed based on square footage of the room as well as linear counter space. I'm also second guessing the placement of the recessed light closest to the patio door. I originally had it directly above the line where the dishwasher and 24" base cabinet meet so that the light would be evenly spread across that 48" piece of countertop. But then I thought that that might look too asymmetrical with the wall cabinet, so I moved the light to be centered with the 42" wall cabinet. Which is better? Any other thoughts on this lighting plan? I think I'm mostly happy with it, except for the recessed light above/in front of the pantry.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm